RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
IndyLux

Could The Surface Use Gps Data From A Smartphone?

IndyLux

I recently learned that the Surface does not have a GPS radio in it. Not a huge deal, but might have been nice.

My thought; why can't a tablet get GPS data from a smartphone? How cool would it be for our Surface to link to a Windows Phone (WiFi, blutooth, etc) to get GPS positioning data? That way, you don't need every technology in every device and they could share.

I suppose why stop there, let's get tethering for LTE data as well (please!?!).

Microsoft should conisider subsidising the carriers with hopes that we will use that connection to buy XBox content and stream it.

Your thoughts?

schoondoggy

It may be possible if it is a Windows Phone 8. If I understand correctly a feature of the Windows 8 app world is that apps can talk to each other. Not sure if that is device to device.

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-feature-expanded-bluetooth-functionality-access-stack-and-transfer

The devices would need to be able to see each other WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC or tether.

My Lumia 900 already has internet sharing. I can share my connection with 5 other devices.

At&t charges $20 a month for it, but it works great.

SurfaceNerd

I am not entirely sure that a GPS connection would be possible to share though. It would be a cool feature though. Only time will tell.

IndyLux

Thinking about it, GPS data is clearly available to Windows Phone Apps. If the data can be shared with other apps, it should be available for transmission to other devices. It wouldn't have to be transmitting all the time, just send the data when it gets a request from a tethered (bluetooth) device.

Ok, I thought it up, it should exist right about.... NOW! No? Ok, I'll wait.

SurfaceNerd

Thinking about it, GPS data is clearly available to Windows Phone Apps. If the data can be shared with other apps, it should be available for transmission to other devices. It wouldn't have to be transmitting all the time, just send the data when it gets a request from a tethered (bluetooth) device.

Ok, I thought it up, it should exist right about.... NOW! No? Ok, I'll wait.

You do bring up a good point Indy. It would seem possbile to do so. Good question to look more indepth with. Let the research begin.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
      By Guest
      Today's show features an interview with VIA about their new hardware releases.  Pay close attention for  some very interesting tidbits that you won't learn from anywhere else.

News and Items mentioned on today's show.

HP Mediasmart Server Ex485 - Click here to go to HP Shopping, enter coupon code - SV0708.  Thanks goes out to the mediasmartserver.net community and forums for that coupon.  Check the link for more coupon codes. Get an EX485 new for under $500!

Add-In: SqueezeCenter for Windows Home Server 7.3.3

Add-In: MyMovies 1.05

Add-In: RipNAS 1.5

Windows Home Server Team New General Manager, Kevin Kean

Microsoft opening retail stores

VIA Interview Links

A1000 - DataSheet and Specs

A1000 Photo

A2000

A2000 Review

Detailed photos of A2000

NSD-7800

Detailed PHotos of the NSD-7800

Follow the Podcast on Twitter!

Don't forget to vote for the Home Server Show at Podcast Alley.

My Blog at thedigitallifestyle.com

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes(MP3).
      [Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast in the Zune Marketplace.
      [Mp3] Download the Podcast in MP3.
      [RSS] Add the Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
      [blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.
    • andypdm
      By andypdm
      Hello everybody!

I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 512GB which was very expensive! After a couple of months I have noticed that sometimes when I put it to sleep it won't wake up and I have to reset the whole thing. I love the device and use it a lot, and I twitted Microsoft and they contacted me and say that I have to replace it... I am OK with that but I live in UK and the service is from USA, they say they do not have my device and have to send me a refurbished one, on the other hand I can see the UK store has my model. 

My question is, what do you guys think of refurbished devices? Does it affect the performance? I am not too annoyed about the issue, I just do not put it to sleep anymore, but on the other hand it is annoying that a new and expensive item does not work properly. What would you guys do? I mostly use my Surface to draw with Illustrator and Photoshop... 

I would appreciate any short of advice and help!

Thank you very much!
    • EON1488993291
      By EON1488993291
      Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Indianapolis, IN
      http://content.microsoftstore.com/store/detail-holiday/Indianapolis-IN

8702 Keystone Crossing
      Indianapolis, IN 46240
      Phone: Coming Soon

Where to find us
      This store is on the Lower Level of the Fashion Mall at Keystone, in front of Abercrombie & Fitch.

I would like to start organizing a line party on release day. I'm not sure if it's possible to do a midnight release since it's in the middle of the mall. Hopefully we will have more info in the coming weeks.