Dave

Surface with Windows RT, 32 GB: $499

Surface with Windows RT, 32 GB with Black Touch Cover: $599

Surface with Windows RT, 64 GB with Black Touch Cover: $699

Surface Touch Cover (white, red, black, cyan, or pink): $120

Surface Type Cover: $130

Initial reactions? To high?

IndyLux
http://www.engadget....-starts-at-499/ Microsoft has revealed the price of the Surface RT. It's $499 without the keyboard cover. My first impression? It's more than I want to spend. The rumored $199? No brainer. $299? Still, easy purchase. I was expecting $350. I need to sleep on it, but $499 is definitely making me question buying this thing without more serious thought.

IndyLux

My first impression is it's too high. I had $350 ready to go, $399 with not much complaint from me, but $499 without a cover? I need to sleep on this one. I'm afraid the price will scare a lot of people off.

Dave

Totally understand. $399 would have flowed out of my wallet without even thinking about it. Even if the keyboard was extra I would have not thought twice. Now, it's getting to the price range of Pro tablets with Intel Core i3 processors. If there was a killer RT app ready to go I would probably not have any issues with the price but wow. I'm disappointed in the fact that they are making us think twice!

Dave

Quoting a tweet i saw in my feed:

Very good point! RT @Chassit: Surface pricing is NOT in line with iPad. It's cheaper by a Touch Cover AND a WHOLE productivity suite.

osquest1488993265

I think the pricing is at the high end of reasonable. I just got an email saying ore-orders are starting shortly (9am PT) at surface.com. The price isn't good enough for me to pre-order but suspect I will buy once I look at the thing. I do agree the pricing will scare many away or at least reconsider the iPad. It's also high enough to get me to look at oem models, which I've been basically ignoring until now.

Joe_Miner

My first impression is it's too high. I had $350 ready to go, $399 with not much complaint from me, but $499 without a cover? I need to sleep on this one. I'm afraid the price will scare a lot of people off.

I know logically the Pricing is competitive with what you get with an iPad for instance -- but emotionally the pricing, if true, is a very tough sell to the CFO who thinks I already have too many computers in the house. I hoped/expected an intro pricing period and $350 or $399 with a keyboard would be something I could possibly "slide" through. Now I need to step back and think -- possibly look at the other models -- and think some more. :)

rex.withers

When you deduct the value of MS office it makes it look pretty good value. (Note: the "not for use in commercial, nonprofit, or revenue generating activities" though).

Ill be getting a pro device anyway

Dave

I can't see me getting away with NOT getting one of each. I really dream of a seamless RDP session from a Windows 8 tablet to all my Win8 machines and servers in the house.

I also am looking forward to what the developers will be coming up with for RT.

osquest1488993265

I can't see me getting away with NOT getting one of each. I really dream of a seamless RDP session from a Windows 8 tablet to all my Win8 machines and servers in the house.

Maybe I'm reading more into your comment than I should. But it's my understanding (thought I read it somewhere) that Windows RT has the RDP client included, just can't be a host. Did you mean we need Pro for a RDP client?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
    • Dave
      By Dave
      $159.99 

Good deal for an automation tablet. Cameras maybe?

http://amzn.to/2tTD7GE
      By Guest
      Today's show features an Interview with Terry Walsh.  Terry is the owner and editor of wegotserved.co.uk. In the interview we talk about new WHS hardware and the new releases of WHS software.

Links and News Items mentioned on the show

Perfect Disk 10 for Windows Home Server

The 2008 Engadget Awards.  Vote for the MediaSmartServer here.

Upgrading your WHS to a Gigabit Network

Add-In: Outlook for WHS

Add-In: Media Center Health Monitor

Leave me a voicemail with Skype! Click me to call HomeServerShow.com

Follow the Podcast on Twitter!

Don't forget to vote for the Home Server Show at Podcast Alley.

My Blog at thedigitallifestyle.com

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes(MP3).
      [Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast in the Zune Marketplace.
      [Mp3] Download the Podcast in MP3.
      [RSS] Add the Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
      [blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.
    • ultimusrex
      By ultimusrex
      Hey everyone. First of all, I'm unsure if this is the best place for this thread, so admins, feel free to move it, if necessary.   As I am just starting (or trying to get started) setting up a smart home/home automation system, and I am a huge technophile, it has always been a dream of mine to have a cool (and useful) central touchscreen control panel in my house. As I was dreaming up future plans for my smart home, I revisited this concept. At first it was a fleeting and fanciful dream, since there is no way that, on our budget, I am going to waste an expensive tablet computer to act as a mostly dedicated wall-mounted control panel. But then my eyes got wide, along with my grin, as I remembered the likes of www.gearbest.com -- with a huge selection of relatively dirt cheap off-brand smart phones and tablets. So now I've been thinking very seriously about this possibility and searching for a good tablet at a good price, as well as some nice wall-mount hardware.   So I'm wondering what you all think about the DIY touchscreen control panel for the smart home. Do any of you already have something implemented? I am trying to compile a list of possible uses for such a device, to make it as useful (and cool) as possible. If you have any ideas, or know any good apps for this purpose, please include them in a reply. The ultimate version of this idea would be to have a tablet eventually in most rooms of the house, maybe a larger, slightly more expensive one near the home entry, and smaller, cheaper satellite devices throughout. I personally would prefer an Android tablet for this, but if you have any ideas for an iPad (or Windows), please share those, too.   Here are some of my own ideas: Home Automation Control Center -- most likely using the mobile app for whichever smart home ecosystem you have decided to go with in your home Weather Station -- Lately I've been really happy with an Android app called "Weather Timeline" that I think would look good and work well Music Player -- I don't think this would work very well if you're a big audiophile, but using the tablet's bluetooth, you could connect it to bluetooth speakers in the room or a bluetooth receiver in your media center and play Pandora, Spotify, or whatever over them, or find a more robust whole-home music system that has an tablet app available for control. Video Phone -- using Skype, Google Hangouts, or whatever. Motion Sensor/Security Cam -- I know there are ways, with combinations of apps and the likes of Tasker, to have the built-in (front-facing) camera watch for motion then start recording or broadcasting when it sees something. Intercom -- if you have tablets mounted in multiple rooms and don't feel like shouting across the house to your spouse or children, you could "call" them on the tablet network. I know there has to be some walkie-talkie-type apps available, or there's always Google Hangouts with voice calls and video calls. Note/Message Center -- you could keep a notepad or sticky notes widget, or an audio note app, on the home screen so you can leave memos to your family, manage your shopping list, etc. Household Calendar -- using Google Calendar (or whatever app/service your household uses), you could keep track of everybody's agenda. Security System Control Center -- Currently, we have an ADT system, but once our contract is up, I'm hoping to cancel them and set up a self-managed system and use a mounted tablet for controlling and activating it.  
      I'm sure I'll think of some other ways to use a wall-mounted tablet, and I'll try to add them to this list as they come to me (or as I add them to my own mounted tablet).
    • EON1488993291
      By EON1488993291
      Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON