RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
axoid

Who Is Going To Wait?

axoid

Who is going to wait for the Surface Pro in three months or will you jump on one of the competing devices that's to ship late this month?

I'm seriously considering the Samsung Series 7. Boasting an I5, 4gb ram and 128gb ssd, plus a stylus The one thing I really like is they have a start button replacement software for "classic" use.

The Acer Iconia W700 is currently my second choice for the near future. It has the same base specs (I5, 4gb ram and 128gb ssd) for a 100 or so bucks less.

There are other devices coming with i3 and Atom processors.

osquest1488993265

My plan is to get the Surface RT (depending on pricing and my impression when I lay my own hands on it) at release. I am really curious to see where MS is going with RT so am inclined to stick with their own device on that. I'll wait on the reviews and to see if a Surface Pro device would be useful to me. I'm not exactly waiting for MS Surface Pro, but it will be out before I buy any "Pro" device.

I know it's sacrilege, but I like my Macbook Air and I'm not ready to replace it, and a Pro device only makes sense if I drop the Air.

Brian1488993265

I will get the RT and probably just stick with that. I have three machines now that are running Windows 8. Also, I don't think I would enjoy working in the full desktop on a tablet that size. I do a lot of writing and other productivity work and I need command central with my tower PC and three monitors. I guess according to the "Post PC Era" meme that everyone is talking about I am "old school" now...and how horrible that I have a home server too!

axoid

When I buy a Surface type device I will get a Pro version. I want to replace my year and a half old Android Iconia with a device that can match it's features, but I still want to run full windows apps.

SurfaceNerd

Although I preordered the RT version, I will be preordering the Pro version when it comes out also. I am really needing the desktop functionality for what I do. I just couldn't wait for the Pro to come out. I had to get the RT version too. :D

mar2k

I am going with RT for now and I will not get any Pro x86 tablet until Haswell is released next year. Unless you want a fan in your tablet its either step down to Atom/Clover Trail or wait for Haswell. Clover Trail is MIA BTW on launch day as there were zero on display at the Microsoft store for the Surface/Win 8 launch. The rumored delays because of power management software issues rumored last month is apparently real. Clearly despite what Intel says publicly this is a stopgap device. Haswell should deliver Ivy Bridge type power with better graphics in a low enough TDP package to go fanless. Very compelling. Wouldn't the OEM partners be livid if the Surface Pro turns up with Haswell before anyone else and that's why it was delayed til January...

schoondoggy

I am going with RT for now and I will not get any Pro x86 tablet until Haswell is released next year. Unless you want a fan in your tablet its either step down to Atom/Clover Trail or wait for Haswell. Clover Trail is MIA BTW on launch day as there were zero on display at the Microsoft store for the Surface/Win 8 launch. The rumored delays because of power management software issues rumored last month is apparently real. Clearly despite what Intel says publicly this is a stopgap device. Haswell should deliver Ivy Bridge type power with better graphics in a low enough TDP package to go fanless. Very compelling. Wouldn't the OEM partners be livid if the Surface Pro turns up with Haswell before anyone else and that's why it was delayed til January...

I agree that Haswell is worth waiting for if you need the performance. I think Clover Trail has a fit with people that want an RT tablet, but need x86 compatibility.

mar2k

I agree that Haswell is worth waiting for if you need the performance. I think Clover Trail has a fit with people that want an RT tablet, but need x86 compatibility.

I played with a Samsung ATIV Smart 500T tablet today at Staples for a long time. I think you are right about the Clover Trail. I was dead wrong from what I saw. This thing was plenty fast and now I must admit I'm a little sad Microsoft is not doing a Clover Trail Surface. They could do it in the same form factor as the RT tablet and set the price around $799 or so for 64GB and it would be a perfect middle with x86 compatibility between the RT and Pro tablets. The screen on the 500T was nice but the digitizer had some issues. The top to bottom swipe to close apps wasn't working and the pen did not work at all (and yes I made sure the pen mode was on). Seemed well built but overall very plasticky - no sure how this thing would hold up. Nothing I would trade the Surface for even with its limitations as a platform. Hoping they will expand the Surface lineup though.

schoondoggy

I think the HP Elitepad will be the best built Clover Trail based tablets. Unfortunately, they wont ship until January.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/elitepad/features.html

The jackets look interesting. The only odd thing is the resolution 1280 x 800.