dww58n.png

dnygy8.jpg

Links

Official: Samsung.com

Phonearena: Ativ S

Video Review: Youtube (Hands On)

Specs:

HARDWARE

Height 5.4 inches Width 2.7 inches Thickness 0.34 inches Weight 0.3 pounds Form factor Slab Color Grey / Black

DISPLAY

Screen size (diagonal) 4.8 inches Technology Super AMOLED HD Resolution (Y) 1280 px Resolution (X) 720 px PPI 306 Touchscreen type Capacitive Multitouch Yes

CONNECTIVITY

GSM Yes GSM frequencies supported 1900, 1800, 900, 850 UMTS / HSPA Yes UMTS frequencies supported 900, 2100, 1900, 850 Wi-Fi Yes Wi-Fi support 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.11a 802.11n frequencies 5GHz, 2.4GHz GPS Yes Bluetooth Yes Bluetooth version Bluetooth 3.0 NFC support Yes

PROCESSOR

Clock speed 1.5 GHz Number of cores 2

MEMORY

RAM size 1 GB

STORAGE

Internal size 32 GB, 16 GB External Yes Max external size 64 GB External type microSD

FRONT CAMERA

Resolution 1.9 megapixels

REAR CAMERA

Resolution 8 megapixels Flash LED Video resolution 1080p

SOFTWARE

Operating system Windows Phone Launch OS version Windows Phone 8

INTERFACE

Headphone jack 3.5mm

SENSORS

Sensors Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity, Ambient light, Gyroscope, Accelerometer

BATTERY

Capacity 2300 mAh

from The Verge

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The ATIV S is a great phone. If I wasn't in love with my Lumia, I would definitely get this. With that being said, my Lumia 920 preorder is already made,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      By: JohnStutsman

Figure 1 – Preparing to install new 64GB of RAM

I upgrade the stock 8GB to 64GB of RAM in the HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using 4 DIMMs (“Sticks”) of Kingston KVR21E15D8/16.

Figure 2 – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16

Figure 3 – 64GB RAM about to be installed in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

Figure 4 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – System Board Components & Memory “Type” requirement from “QuickSpecs” – DIMMs removal & installation instructions from “Maintenance & Service Guide” (see links in References below)

Figure 5 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – Memory & DDR4 memory population guidelines from “QuickSpecs” (see links in References below)

I upgraded to 64GB of RAM in my HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 from Newegg. The KVR21E15D8/16 was suggested by Schoondoggy on the forum thread RAM for ML30 Gen9.

Video 1 – 64GB RAM in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9.

Figure 6 – View of the four new DIMMs installed for 64GB of RAM. Time to replace the air baffle, tower bezel, and side panel then hook up the ML30 Gen9 and see if it works!

Figure 7 – IT WORKS! Screen during first post showing 64GB RAM - for the first time!  Thank you Schoondoggy!!

Figure 8 – System Summary Information showing 64GB RAM installed

Figure 9 – System Information with Installed Physical Memory (64GB RAM) Highlighted

Figure 10 – Task Manager showing 64GB of DDR4.

Figure 11 – iLO4 System Information – Memory Information showing four 16GB DIMMs installed.  Status is "Good, In Use".

Figure 12 – Temperatures appear well within range while system fan speed was a consistent 6% - BIOS set to Optimal Cooling (Note that the two 40mm fans in the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB994SP-4SB-1 were also running).

Figure 13 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 running with 64GB RAM and using 30.1 Watts. Everything seems to be working well – time to think about adding more drives and turn on Hyper-V!!

As-Built (I named my Computer: Serenity)
      HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 (Product No. 830893) Xeon E3-1240v5 (SkyLake LGA 1151) 64GB ECC RAM – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 OS: Windows 10 Pro B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 1-4: (4*3.5” Drive Tray Caddies for Main Drive-Cage Assembly Bays 1-4) B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 5-6: Icy Dock MB994SP-4SB-1 in Top 5.25” half-height Bay; with/ 2*18” SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables attached to Bays 1 & 2 (Bays 3 & 4 are available for future); Molex to Molex & Fan Y-Connector Cable; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in Bay 1;  

Please join us in the HomeServerShow Forums to discuss this and tell us what you are building at home.

Reference:

RAM for ML30 Gen9 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14807-ram-for-ml30-gen9/

ValueRAM Decoder https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/valueram/valueram_decoder

ValueRAM KVR21E15D8/16 Specs Sheet http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21E15D8_16.pdf

Check HSS Forum Post: Other HSS ML30 Blog Postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/ML30

HomeServerShow Forum for ML10’s & ML30’s http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/98-ml10-and-ml10v2/

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server Maintenance & Service Guide http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04905980-1.pdf

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server QuickSpecs http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04834998&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en
    • bennydbowser
      By bennydbowser
      Hey guys,

Will/Can Nokia become a problem for WP? Can they be what Samsung is to Android?  I appreciate what Nokia is doing and understand Windows Phone is not as open as Android.  I see the exclusive deals that Nokia not Microsoft Store is making and it has me thinking about the future of WP.

I would like to see what Microsoft does?

Release a surface phone?

Offer a Pure Windows experience without the bloat like they do with PCs? (Android is moving in that direction with the HTC One and Samsung GS4 stock offerings)
    • up7500
      By up7500
      I just got my new Ativ 700 last night. I plan to write a review after I have had more chance to play with it. So far most of my time with it has involved making sure it was all updated. I do have to say the screen is beautiful and fufilled my main requirement for a new laptop or tablet, a 1080P screen.
    • JohnTW
      By JohnTW
      tl;dr
      I just packed up my AT&T LG Optimus G Pro to sell because I love my Samsung Ativ S Windows Phone 8.

I am on my fourth phone in 2013. I started with the iPhone 5 (which I got at launch in 2012), left iOS behind for Android when I got the LG Nexus 4, and went big with the LG Optimus G Pro. I was falling in love with Android, and wanted LTE and a larger screen. However, I got bored quickly. Even after trying skins, themes, launchers, icon packs, etc... Something didn't feel right. There is nothing standout to explain my experience, but to ponder if Android and the endless customizations were too much for me.

I was attracted to Windows Phone 8, but always found the Lumias either too heavy/bulky (920) or screens too small and lacking power (820). The HTC 8X was very compelling in early 2013, but feels dated now due to the HTC One truly showing what the vendor can do. Never a fan of Samsung, they are growing on me. I replaced my iPad mini, Nexus 7 and Asus Vivo Tab Smart with a Samsung Ativ Tab (Windows RT, Snapdragon S4) tablet. I love the device, so I gave the Ativ S phone a try.

Blown away. Lightest phone I recall owning and every holding. Plastic is there, but it is unique with the style and texture. This is my first Super AMOLED HD display (AMOLED of any kind actually) and the colors truly do pop on Windows Phone 8. Buttons are responsive and work as desired. I prefer hardware Windows buttons to capacitive. It feels fairly fast and capable. No bloatware as it was an unlocked version sold to be by an importer on Amazon offering Prime shipping Although it came seal in the factory box with a EU charger, they included the US adapter separately outside the primary packaging.

Windows Phone 8 is what I need in a phone. Superb Exchange integration, trumping all other OS and platforms. (I also enjoy Exchange Active Sync on Windows RT Mail (8.0) and Outlook RT (10.1). Outlook.com email works equally well, and I have my Gmail account setup for both send and receive via my Outlook.com account. Samsung included some apps, that were easily removed and didn't add much value.

All together I have installed the following apps (and purchased paid version when available):
      AccuWeather (perfect small live tile to report current temp) Amazon Kindle Amazon Mobile Battery (great small live tile with nice reports/reminders) Blink Facebook Fandango (not needed thanks to Bing but nice to purchase tix) Flixster (there for trailers) Games: Jetpack Joyride Shuffle Party Wordament Light Guide Here Drive Here Maps Instance (not a bad version on Instagram) Level MetroTalk (I use Google Voice and this is perfect for calls/texts via my Google Voice number) Metrotube (I love it so far!) Microsoft Store NC News (gorgeous live tile and lock screen images) Netflix (so-so quality) Network Speed Test (using an iPhone provision SIM from my work phone, no LTE but getting 10Mbps/1Mbps on average on AT&T) OneNote OpenTable Pandora (very nice app) Photo Editor (only Samsung app I left installed) Photogram (Samsung app I downloaded to add filters and such) Photsynth pod.ding (not a bad podcast app at all, and for a heavy user, it gets it done) Read Later (wish it would fully integrate into a "Share" panel for Pocket sharing from any app) RedLaser Relax Melodies Premium (great for my rain sounds I like to fall asleep too) SkyDrive Skype TeamViewer (access home/work PCs from anywhere) Translator (Bing) TweeterLight (not perfect, but MeTweets wouldn't pull to refresh well) Unit Converter Vevo (decent quality compared to Netflix) Windows Phone Insider (nice to get some wallpaper and ringtone options easily) YouTube (useless official app, hoping for a real update) First day I was worried about battery life. After a full charge and discharge cycle, day 2 is much better. I came off the charger at 8:54AM, 46% battery left, and 6 hours and 40 minutes reported remaining via Battery. I can live with that type of battery. I use bluetooth in the car with my Ford Sync (works very well and seems to support every feature). I also use bluetooth at home with my various wireless speakers. It speaks just as well as iOS devices, and way better than Android which could tend to skip during WiFi use.

I wanted to start this thread with the above thoughts. More to come!

• JohnTW
      By JohnTW
      I just received an unlocked Nokia Lumia 925 from Expansys-USA.com. They had the grey model in stock and that is what I received. I have a black Wireless Charging Plate on order as well (uue in a week or so).

The Lumia 925 is an extremely well built device. It feels dense and slightly hefty (compared to the Samsung Ativ S it is replacing). However, it is feels far lighter than 920 when held in the hand.
      The aluminum band is excellent quality, and looks like it will hold up well after usage. The backing is a soft touch polycarbonate that is thin but feels sturdy. The AMOLED screen is amazing, and comes with an setting panel that allows tweaking of both colors and contrast. I am leaving it set to the default "Enhanced" colors as opposed to "Native" or "Vivid". Auto brightness works better than any previous device I have owned. The setting to enhance daylight operation seems to really help in direct sunlight. The speaker is in the rear but sometimes feels as if sound is coming from under the display. There is an equalizer with various settings and well as the option to apply and save a customized sound. Dolby Headphones is an option that can be turned on/off. I am using it on AT&T (4G speeds only, as my work provision SIM is not on an LTE plan). Speeds and signal strength are reported lower than expected. But I have not seen a real world impact. Wi-Fi support 5GHz and seems to be very solid in both reporting strength and actual usage. The Glance features is very nice and allows the device to display the time (and some minor information like sound profile and low battery indicators) when the screen is locked. It has some options: The time can display only for 15-minutes. Then it will disappear. It knows when it is in your pocket or in a bag and turns off the display completely, yet the time returns when you remove it from you pocket/bag. It can be set to always be on, but could affect battery life. Having an AMOLED screen should keep that from being a big issue. There are settings for night mode. Set a time to be considered "night" and the clock and other text shows pale red instead of pale white. Very cool. No software updates were needed when I got the device. Only some app updates from the Windows Store. Nokia software mainly. Nokia apps complement the phone and Windows Phone 8 nicely. The Nokia Smart Camera app is there and allows everything the 1020 can do, except those fancy manual controls. The low light performance blows me away. The 6th lens improves everything about the camera. Outside of the 1020, this is the best camera on the market, along with the 925 which adds a Xeon flash (this has a dual LED). 12GB were available of the 16GB onboard storage. After setting up my apps and podcasts, but no local music storage, I was left with 10GB+. More to come! I used the device until the battery died and will let it charge overnight. Thursday 07/25 will be my first full day of usage of the battery. It'll take me a few days to get an idea of true battery life under my usage conditions.

What would you like to know?