RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I be concerned?

jwolfera

When I did my last server install I looked in the server storage tab, my hard drive has a long serial number (at least I think its the serial number). Its 202020202020202020202020205139414d5195a38. Now I don't remember it being like this the last time I did an install. Is this something that I need to worry about, or a bad OS file that I can fix easily or OS restore again?

Thanks
JR

I personally wouldn't be worried at all. Drive manufacturers do weird things sometimes and I've never really understood the names.

fwiw - That's actually the name, according to WHS.

I have a WD Caviar Green whose model number is WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0. That name shows up in the Server Storage tab as WDC WD10 EADS-00M2B0 W -DCWVA15708710. According to the Disk Management add-in, W -DCWVA15708710 is actually the Serial Number. But according to SIW, the serial number of that drive is something else altogether. Strange but true. haha

In any case and for who knows why, WHS is reporting that WD drive name as model + serial number. All I can tell you is that the server is working fine. Unless you are having some other problem, I don't think I'd worry about it.

Still, I'd like to hear from anyone why WHS mucks up drive names and their serial numbers.