RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
y.chen

Does my HP N54L supports 16 GB RAM ECC?

y.chen

Hello, I'm new.

I'd like to ask you if my HP Microserver G7 (74490-421) supports 16 GB RAM ECC.

I made some research in internet and I found official HP documentation that says that the max amount of RAM is 2 x 4 GB but I read here a lot of you have installed 16 GB.

So I looking for some confirmation.

Also I found these DELL SNPP9RN2C/8G RAM, can I also use it for my Microserver?

Thank you

Ugly-051

Hello, I'm new.

I made some research in internet and I found official HP documentation that says that the max amount of RAM is 2 x 4 GB but I read here a lot of you have installed 16 GB.

Thank you

I believe the Gen7 supports up to 16GB RAM (2x 8GB) and have seen feedback from other users to confirm this.

y.chen

Hello and thank you for your reply.

Social confirmed that the Microserver supports up to 16 GB.

Also ECC? No-ECC are most expensive...

Taffeys

I installed 16GB RAM in my N54L after flashing the MOD-BIOS. I used a Kingston ECC 16GB Kit (2x8GB) KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G and have never had any issue with this memory. I use ECC memory because I run ZFS file systems in most of my servers.

y.chen

So it will not read 16 GB without modded BIOS?

I found the memory in my opening thread for 50 € (2 x 8). I suppose that it will work thought there is a DELL label on it. The specs are correct: DDR3 1333 Mhz PC10600.

Taffeys

So it will not read 16 GB without modded BIOS?

I did not say that.  I believe that other users have put 16GB in an N54L with stock BIOS and it worked. There have also been at least a few cases where memory "should have worked" based upon the specs but it did not.

I cannot personally confirm that 16GB of any memory with work in an N54L with stock BIOS because I did not have such memory before I flashed the MOD-BIOS to my server.

You have two choices:

1. Try it

2. Read through all the information that is available here to see if anyone else has ever tried that memory in a stock N54L. I suggest you start here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/

Ugly-051

Hello and thank you for your reply.

Social confirmed that the Microserver supports up to 16 GB.

Also ECC? No-ECC are most expensive...

What O/S and file system are you wanting to use?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

y.chen

I did not say that. I believe that other users have put 16Gb in an N54L and it worked. There have also been at least a few cases where memory "should have worked" based upon the specs but it did not.

I cannot personally confirm that 16Gb of any memory with work in an N54L with stock BIOS because I did not have such memory before I flashed the MOD-BIOS to my server.

You have two choices:

1. Try it

2. Read through all the information that is available here to see if anyone else has ever tried that memory in a stock N54L. I suggest you start here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/

Uhm Yes, I think that I will try and in case flash the BIOS.

The important was to know that someone has 2x 8 GB ECC.

What O/S and file system are you wanting to use?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

At the moment I will use it as development platform for Node.js training. I don't have money to buy big disks for NAS use. :D

I've more experience in Windows environment so I thought to use Hyper-V Server 2012 with a light GUI in order to virtualize two or max three VM. Then I think NTFS.

I know that I can do it also with Linux but it requires more time.

Edited by y.chen

Joe_Miner

Hello, I'm new.

Thank you

Check out the links in the Thread: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4603-16-gb-ram-for-n36l-vs-n40l/ 

Bottom line the answer is "maybe" -- With the N40L's & N36L's it really varried from machine to machine -- pretty much the same with the N54L but some felt that the N54L was a little more stable at 16G RAM than the others so it's really a case of YMMV.  you can check that thread for RAM that works as well as the links in the Front of the Thread: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/ 

Officially the older MicroServers (N36L, N40L, N54L) do not support more than 8GB RAM but some have been lucky to get it to work with 16GB and some have not.  YMMV

If you really need 16GB you need to look at another machine.

You don't need to flash the BIOS with the Mod BIOS to run with 16GB of RAM but you will need to flash the BIOS with the most current release from HPE if you want to run Windows 10, S2012, S2012R2 on the MicroServer.

CHECK OUT all of the thread's that are pinned to this Forum for useful information on the older MicroServer.

Ugly-051

Uhm Yes, I think that I will try and in case flash the BIOS.

The important was to know that someone has 2x 8 GB ECC. At the moment I will use it as development platform for Node.js training. I don't have money to buy big disks for NAS use. :D

I've more experience in Windows environment so I thought to use Hyper-V Server 2012 with a light GUI in order to virtualize two or max three VM. Then I think NTFS.

I know that I can do it also with Linux but it requires more time.

Okay cool, I'm not sure if Node.JS requires the use of ECC memory but it's good to have it anyway. Also just check that the processor supports DEP and either Intel VT-X or AMD-V for Hyper-v.