RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bought a new HPE Gen8 – Now I want SAS...

Ugly-051

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone.....busy going through the thread but thought i'll post my message also quickly.

Last year i picked a few SAS drives from a client, not sure how faulty are they , could be 1 bad sector...could be completely faulty.

I want to try and test those drives on my micro server, maybe run a proper raid on it (never actually had raid at home).

I dont want to spend too much money on this.....the drives could be faulty and not work also.

I saw this online:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-P410-512MB-462919-001-Smart-Array-SAS-RAID-Controller-Card-BBWC/122401428438

will it work?

will the SAS drives fit in the 4 bays or will i need some kind of an adapter ?

(i think i saw something online a while ago)

any other recommendations/advice?

i saw a youtube video, the guy just disconnect the mini sata and connect it to the raid controller....seems very simple.

Edited by bar1

20 hours ago, bar1 said:

Hi everyone.....busy going through the thread but thought i'll post my message also quickly.

Last year i picked a few SAS drives from a client, not sure how faulty are they , could be 1 bad sector...could be completely faulty.

I want to try and test those drives on my micro server, maybe run a proper raid on it (never actually had raid at home).

I dont want to spend too much money on this.....the drives could be faulty and not work also.

I saw this online:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-P410-512MB-462919-001-Smart-Array-SAS-RAID-Controller-Card-BBWC/122401428438

will it work?

will the SAS drives fit in the 4 bays or will i need some kind of an adapter ?

(i think i saw something online a while ago)

any other recommendations/advice?

i saw a youtube video, the guy just disconnect the mini sata and connect it to the raid controller....seems very simple.

SAS drives will work with the backplane in the Gen8. The P410 would work, but that one has the full height bracket and no battery. The P222 is a good choice as it will support 4 drives internal and 4 drives external. This one has the low profile bracket, cache module and battery/capacitor:

HP 633537-001 P222 Smart Array SAS PCI-e x8 w/ 512GB FBWC BBU SAS RAID | eBay

• 1 month later...

thanks i followed your advice,got the controller of eBay, and  installed it.

the good news....2 drives seems healthy!!

bad news, 2 are predicted to fail soon....not sure what to do with the 2 that due to fail soon....at work, of course we replace immediately. but for my home lab...i dunno maybe i can still use them? raid 5 with hot spare?should i try a low level format first?

also want to know....can i still use a sata drive?

not too sure if the p222 support sata....but if i use the 5th port, the server's fan is going crazy and i am getting a red light (wow! didn't know the micro server will show a nice big red light if there are errors...) and none of the sas drives were detected....(however....the 5th sata does seem to work...but of course i need a molex splitter and a molex to sata, i did it before so really not sure where the issue is )

5 hours ago, bar1 said:

thanks i followed your advice,got the controller of eBay, and  installed it.

the good news....2 drives seems healthy!!

bad news, 2 are predicted to fail soon....not sure what to do with the 2 that due to fail soon....at work, of course we replace immediately. but for my home lab...i dunno maybe i can still use them? raid 5 with hot spare?should i try a low level format first?

also want to know....can i still use a sata drive?

not too sure if the p222 support sata....but if i use the 5th port, the server's fan is going crazy and i am getting a red light (wow! didn't know the micro server will show a nice big red light if there are errors...) and none of the sas drives were detected....(however....the 5th sata does seem to work...but of course i need a molex splitter and a molex to sata, i did it before so really not sure where the issue is )

SAS controllers are backwards compatible with SATA, yes SATA drives work with the P222.

If you are storing important data on these drives, I would not use drives that are predicted to fail. 

maybe its a stupid question....but is it possible to have a raid 5 mixed with sas and sata?

11 hours ago, bar1 said:

maybe its a stupid question....but is it possible to have a raid 5 mixed with sas and sata?

As long as they are the same capacity, I do not think the controller will care if they are SAS or SATA for RAID5.

I have not tried mixing SAS and SATA in a RAID set, but it should work. Typically, controllers running a RAID5 array expect to see drives that support TLER. So if you are mixing drives it would still be a good idea that the drives support the same specs.