RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ugly-051

Bought a new HPE Gen8 – Now I want SAS...

Ugly-051

Hi, new to the forums, googled around a bit and I’ve read some people having used both the HP branded and a number of other brand SAS controllers for the HPE Gen8 box. I’ve just purchased one (due for delivery tomorrow) for the use of Hyper-V VM storage.

I initially planned to use 7K SATA and use a RAID set for them both but I’m a little worried about latency so thinking about going SAS (10K probably).

Hyper-V has the capacity to run approx 10-20 VMs but ideally will be running 5 mostly-idle machines only for home lab purposes.

I’m not wanting to spend hundreds of £s on a SAS controller as I’ve seen some users do it for cheaper, but where exactly do I start? What are peoples recommendations for a SAS controller and some 10K disks?

Thanks

schoondoggy

If you are concerned about latency, I would recommend using SSD for your VM's and disk drives for your data. If you do want to add a RAID controller the HP P222 would be a good choice. How much disk capacity are you looking for?

Ugly-051

If you are concerned about latency, I would recommend using SSD for your VM's and disk drives for your data. If you do want to add a RAID controller the HP P222 would be a good choice. How much disk capacity are you looking for?

Hi, I'm thinking more like a P410 with cache and approx 1TB of 10-15K SAS for budget purposes. I’ve seen the P222 and think at the moment it’s slightly above budget for home lab VMs.

Edited by Ugly-051

schoondoggy

A P410 will work, SAS drives will run at 6Gb/s, SATA drives run at 3Gb/s.

The only issue is the P410 is not supported in the iLo management on the Microserver G8.

What RAID type are you planning on running, 0-1-10-5?

10K drives will be lower latency than 7.2K, but they may not be faster in transfer rate. The will also run hotter and use more power.

• Like 1

Trig0r

That cards not a bad one, I'm looking for something with 2 internal SAS connectors on it though, then I can retire my P222 as well...

Mixpower

Nice! Thanks for that, needed to get a good and real SAS card instead of my B120i, hope to get some decent speeds finally with ESXI. :)

Shonk

the 9207 4i4e's with low profile brackets ususally go for around £100 btw

and are quite rare

lucky this guy has a truck load of them from dell r710's

Edited by Shonk

Ugly-051

LSI 9207 4i4e PCIE 3.0 x8 (LSI 2308) £30

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broadcom-LSI-SAS-9207-4i4e-8-port-6Gb-s-SATA-SAS-pci-e-3-0-Low-Profile-/122385565248?hash=item1c7ebf8640:g:f7YAAOSwnHZYSY~S

be quick he put 10 up last week and they went straight away

very good card for the price

Thanks for the link, I've got a P410 in the post at the moment but am I best ordering the LSI instead? Can just sell the P410 later.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A P410 will work, SAS drives will run at 6Gb/s, SATA drives run at 3Gb/s.

The only issue is the P410 is not supported in the iLo management on the Microserver G8.

What RAID type are you planning on running, 0-1-10-5?

10K drives will be lower latency than 7.2K, but they may not be faster in transfer rate. The will also run hotter and use more power.

Is it just the HP certified ones that will show up in the iLO? Disks will either be 10k or 15k.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk