RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What set Alternate DNS Server to in Domain Controller Win 2012?

netmation

Have a lab router I setup that is set to Googles DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  Connected a server to this router which I am experimenting with running Windows Server 2012 R2 - AD, DHCP and DNS. 

Within the Windows 2012 Server DNS options, I assume I set the Preferred DNS Server to the IP of the Windows Servers, but what do I set the Alternate DNS Server to?  The IP address of the lab router, or Google 8.8.8.8 ?

for mine I set primary to localhost and the secondary to my router which has its own list to forward to

• Like 1

No I don't have a published DNS list in my own network outside of the test lab.  Sounds right that I list the secondary as the lab router, didn't know if the router would then link it to the Google DNS lists configured in the router.  Will give it a try, thanks.

So you have nothing on the inside, such as web server, that an outside client needs to resolve to, right?  If so, use your router and Google

For your server, you shouldn't set any secondary DNS on the NIC, unless you running a second DNS server on the network (eg, a secondary Domain Controller, as well). 

You should open up the "DNS" console (in "Administrative Tools") and set up forwarders there.

For your local network, set the server as the primary DNS and the router or ISP as secondary DNS servers.