RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TechNet Refunds

jmwills

Paul Thurrott mentioned in his mailbag posting that a disgruntled subscriber to TechNet threatened to sue because of the change in contract after payment was made. The user writes he was refunded his $200 but I wonder if he kept the .iso images and destroyed the keys or did Microsoft "blackhole" the keys issued to him???

http://www.winsupersite.com/paul/mailbag/101010.asp

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• mhaider

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft probably voided the keys that guy downloaded. I were the vendor, that's what I'd do. When someone returns a product for a refund, they get a full refund and hand over the entire product, not just some of it. But then, I'd have never pulled the stunt MS did. Shameful. That said, who knows. Maybe this guy gets away with using the keys he has activated and maybe he'll get away with activating keys he's downloaded but hasn't yet activated.

By itself, the new terms are reasonable enough with respect to what you get for what you pay. Too bad there was no one smart enough at MS to make sure the change in terms was handled properly. Bigger question is why do they insist on ticking off the enthusiast/tech community who like working with their products? Thoughtless, thoughtless, thoughtless...

I agree with you. Handled incorrectly but a great value overall. I am sold and got mine even after the announcement.

One copy of Office 2010 and Windows 7 pays for the subscription. The rest is gravy. I sure like mine. Just got Viso 2010 and project so I am a happy guy.

One copy of Office 2010 and Windows 7 pays for the subscription. The rest is gravy. I sure like mine. Just got Viso 2010 and project so I am a happy guy.

Does anyone have a link where it shows how many licenses keys you get for the stuff? I can't find it on Technet...

Keith

I had the original TechNet Plus before they split it up into two different subscriptions. So after they did come up with the two different subscriptions I ended up with the premium one. This gave me 5 keys of each flavor. I can certainly live with that but why not announce the new licensing model for all new subscriptions and just grandfather all existing ones until their renewal date. Just a PR and total customer relations botch by M$. Sadly although this received gobs of press in the tech world it's such a geek product the rest of the people won't know a thing and that's a sad thing because Microsoft really should take a big negative hit for doing this.

Anyway the reason I'm posting this is a friend of mine also subscribed. He got the $199 subscription and he was really mad when they changed over and he ended up with 2 keys. He complained heavily to MS and they ended up changing his subscription to the premium one for no extra charge. So if you are really upset you can get MS to at least make that concession for you.

• 2 months later...

A comparison of the different subscriptions is here. Unless you have a need for the Enterprise Level programs and some support calls, the Standard will probably suffice. Also, I think the Standard gives you two licenses while the Professional will give you 5. Each license redeemed can be activated a maximum of 10 times.

Either way, a great deal.

A comparison of the different subscriptions is here. Unless you have a need for the Enterprise Level programs and some support calls, the Standard will probably suffice. Also, I think the Standard gives you two licenses while the Professional will give you 5. Each license redeemed can be activated a maximum of 10 times.

Either way, a great deal.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.