RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Suitable 8TB hard drive for MS Gen8?

Terker

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions with respect to the gen8 microserver. Before the registration I have already checked a number of the pinned topics which truly provide a ton of useful information; however I have still a few questions.

Currently I own the model F9A40A (Xeon CPU 1220L) with 8 GB RAM and would like to use it with ESXI in a configuration with 2 hard drives in a software RAID (AHCI mode).

I would like to buy two 8TB drives.

However, I have read that the WD red series (marketed as NAS drives) has got a few problems (slot dependent detection, ...), e.g.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11894-hp-p222-and-wd-8tb/

And according to various amazon reviews (in different languages!) Seagate´s Ironwolf series has a few issues with respect to reliability (drive failures within a few days/weeks).

Unfortunately there aren´t too many reports about HGST´s Ultrastar series (working flawlessly?), which however seems to be expensive…

Which 8TB drive would you recommend for the HP gen8 MS?

I look forward to your replies! :)

ESXi is unable to create a software RAID itself.

Regarding to disks – I would say the best are those who have not dropped to the ground during transport.

Some return rates You can check here – http://www.hardware.fr/articles/954-6/disques-durs.html

But there are no 8 TB, except Seagate Archive. Seagate Archive drives aren't good for general purpose. I have two 8 TB Archives in RAID on Microserver more than year now, but I use them for "cold" data – backup etc.

@ArnisR

Thank you for your feedback! ;)

Maybe I did not express myself clearly. Of course I meant to set up a software RAID using a virtualized OS.

As far as I know Seagate´s Archive series was not meant for RAID (availability), but specifically for data backups (since having a few inherent performance constraints).

I know for sure that Seagate´s Ironwolf series was designed for NAS systems which of course count on RAIDs. They should not have any direct firmware problems with respect to RAID, however they suffer from rather high load cycle counts within short times. It should be possible to use them for such purposes, but they do not seem to be too reliable.

Maybe a firmware update for WD´s red series (which includes an 8 TB model for NAS) would help given the known bugs. :rolleyes:

Edited by Terker

@Gurv4n

According to a staff member of WD´s support forum there are no firmware updates available for the red series (posted March 2015).

https://community.wd.com/t/is-there-a-firmware-update-for-wd-red-3tb/17646

Basically it should however be possible to update such a hard drive.

I guess it would be performed using the tools available in WD´s download section.

Edited by Terker

@ArnisR

Thank you for your feedback! ;)

Maybe I did not express myself clearly. Of course I meant to set up a software RAID using a virtualized OS.

As far as I know Seagate´s Archive series was not meant for RAID (availability), but specifically for data backups (since having a few inherent performance constraints).

I know for sure that Seagate´s Ironwolf series was designed for NAS systems which of course count on RAIDs. They should not have any direct firmware problems with respect to RAID, however they suffer from rather high load cycle counts within short times. It should be possible to use them for such purposes, but they do not seem to be too reliable.

Maybe a firmware update for WD´s red series (which includes an 8 TB model for NAS) would help given the known bugs. :rolleyes:

I've been using RED Drives for about four years now with a dedicated RAID card and have either the dedicated OS use htem on one box or pass thru that volume to a VM on another. ( 2 instances)  The RED drives are rock solid in my opinion.

• Like 1

@jmwills

Thank you for your contribution, especially for sharing your positive experiences with the WD red hard drives.

My question was specifically referring to the 8TB drives of this series, due to the changes (helium, NASWARE 2.0 vs. 3.0) that were made after 2013, e.g.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8273/western-digital-updates-red-nas-drive-lineup-with-6-tb-and-pro-versions

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/49sx5c/which_should_i_buy_wd_red_6tb_wd_red_8tb_or/, check out the post of the official WD rep.

And reportedly since the introduction of these drives with higher capacities (6/8TB) there were a few issues with respect to the built-in RAID controller of the Gen8 MS, but also with the detection of the drives in the AHCI mode in the slots 1-4 (particularly with slot 1, check out the link in the OP). However, maybe due to updates (October 2016 HP,WD?) recently there were just a few reports mentioning troubles (thus far there aren´t too many users who use 8TB drives for the G8 MS). Yet I would still need to get a confirmation that WD´s 8TB drives are working flawlessly in the G8 MS without an additional RAID controller.

Well in a test of 2 Microservers and 2 WD80EFZX, I would probably avoid them now, as it inconvenient having to use raid mode instead of ahci.

@Ricimer

Thank you for your answer :)

Unfortunately, for now, this is probably the best piece of advice.

I have read about your unpleasant experiences with WD. Nevertheless, today I confronted them again with this issue.

I will keep you informed

Due to confidentiality reasons, I cannot report about certain aspects I have learned recently.

There are various hard drive producers, which have introduced 8TB models, and their products should be checked, too.