RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS Forums Changes and Upgrades

Dave

Dear SG, HSS, and HA Forums Registrant,

The forums are changing!  Read on for important information regarding these forums you are registered in.  

Homeservershow.com/forums

Surfacegeeks.net/forums

Homeautomationforums.com

These forums are merging into ONE FORUM! Surface Geeks and Home Automation Forums will be merged into HSS Forums in the month of March 2017.  Not all topics will transfer but all user ID's will.  In the HSS Forums new space will be allotted for Operating Systems and Tablets as well as home automation gear.  If you are not interested in one or all of the new topics of discussion I will be creating RSS feeds for specific topics and will also show you how to filter on these topics with new forums software.

HSS Forum members will notice changes in the board prior to migration.  All the extra services will need to be removed during the backups, testing, and migration.  Some software features might not be available to you.  Side bar boxes, ads, and possibly TapaTalk.  I will work to minimize this.

When I am done with the merger the new board will be upgraded to the latest version of software.  At that time I'll add all the niceties back like Tapatalk, etc.  The board will need "a new look and feel" and possibly incorporating the blog into forum as well.  First things first though!

In the future the HSS Forums will be looking to re-brand to a more encompassing technology name as well as implement improvements such as mobile apps and speed features such as SSL and RAID 10 SSD.  If you would like to assist in these upgrades you can do so by as little as $1 via Patreon.  Visit http://patreon.com/davidmccabe

Stay up to date on the changes! Follow me on Twitter @mccabeio and watch for news in this HSS Forum.

Thank you for using these forums over the years.  You can discuss this e-mail in this thread.  Thanks again and I look forward to more discussions with you.

P.S.

If you noticed an outage this weekend that was my fault.  I was doing a test run and put the board in offline mode.  I swear I put it back live!!! My apologies.

Dave

• Like 2

I am glad there is going to be a polymorphic recombination - even if only the forums: I didn't see the need for a split (why not a few more topics?), although I agree that home automation is not home (data) server. Networking is pretty fundamental though. Ah, rebranding by generalisation! Seconded.

PS I noticed the outage. I did what I always do when one of my bits of kit fails: I poured a drink and watched the football.

Thanks for keeping things going - way more time than than I could spare to help.

Your Patreon link was not functional for me.

Edited by JackoUK
  • Like 2

cool. I don't see a reason for complaining. more is better and I don't think you are throwing anything orthogonal into the mix.

I've removed the Donating Members forum as it wasn't used very much. Over a year since a post in there.  If you are a donating member you will still retain your status. (Green Name) I've moved the donation system over to Patreon if you are interested in that.  http://patreon.com/davidmccabe  Certainly not a requirement to enjoy this community though.