RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviews

Dave

There is just the hardware difference.  The 2600 has the ability to run the IPS and VPN package simultaneously and still offer up throughput.  I think there might be some additional bandwidth on the Wi-Fi side but that's all relative to client chipsets as we have seen.  If anyone knows more please post it up.

Ok, to clarify, the 2600's processor comes with hardware acceleration in order to take care of tasks like application layer traffic control. Throughput will not be impacted as much if you enable these type of apps.

itGeeks

Dave thanks for the update, How is it performing so far? Sadly mine did not arrive on Friday because UPS is backlogged from the big snow storm we had here, They say I should have it Monday. Have you tested the IPS yet and if yes what are you using for the external storage for it? I can't wait to try this router out, Seems no one can keep them in stock, B&H is listing it as the number 1 seller. I was also excited to see it supports IPTV and that's something I really wont to dig into to see if I can finally rid myself of my FiOs router and the monthly rental that comes with it.

Jason

Mine ships from Amazon this week. They've upgraded shipping to next day. Figures I've not got Sophos UTM 9.4 working great aside from the 50 IP limit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snapper

this is an interesting point, do many of us MITM the https connections to do the scanning? so far I have not gotten that deep into the technology and am hesitant to attempt it, relying instead on endpoint protection.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA17-075A

There is a Security Week article just published that discusses this alert: http://www.securityweek.com/us-certs-warning-ssl-interception-vs-security-false-dichotomy

nrf

interesting. there are lots of things that type of product can do wrong, hence the caution. just as antivirus products can open us up to exploits. one would hope for some kind of scorecard for such products before one bought into them, testing after the fact seems like a risk

Dave

With eero on the eve of its Gen 2 hardware I was just reminded that I haven't gone real in depth with this box.  I've talked about it a lot on RESET.  If anyone has questions please drop them here.  I'm still in "forums and wordpress" conversion mode but am soon swapping back into eero and possibly the 2600 as the router and eero in bridge mode. #mypoorfamily