RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviews

Dave

Mini Review Time

Some things I like about the Synology RT2600AC

The Synology is really getting up there with the customizable routers.  It has options for priority devices as well as Parental Controls that are not just, pausing the Internet.

parental-1.png

parental.png

There is safe search and Web Filter.  That's just in the base device.  I have yet to enable Intrusion Prevention. It takes external storage to do so.  You can ban devices, you can see what frequency they are attached to, and you can not only assign them as priority but you could assign a speed rate to them.  Hello kids iPad, meet Mr. Rate Reduction!

traffic.png

Something zapping your bandwidth. Head to the monitor panel and watch the top devices or top apps that are sucking the bandwidth away from your wife streaming Dancing with the Stars.  Trust me, assign the Roku as a priority device!  

I also really like the reporting engine.  It e-mails me a report every morning as well as a Weekly and a Monthly.  

schedule-report.png

You should see this report. It's a beautiful representation of EVERYTHING that took place on your network.  

report.png

That's just a few things.  Take a look at my first video on it.

Amazon has 3 in stock.

http://fave.co/2mT9CiE

(turn off your ad blocker for HSS Forums!) Thanks

schoondoggy

Has anyone seen a feature comparison between the RT2600ac and the RT1900ac? I understand the WiFi difference, just wanted to see how the router/firewall features compared. The RT1900ac is $150, might be a good choice for apartments. 

Dave

There is just the hardware difference.  The 2600 has the ability to run the IPS and VPN package simultaneously and still offer up throughput.  I think there might be some additional bandwidth on the Wi-Fi side but that's all relative to client chipsets as we have seen.  If anyone knows more please post it up.

Jason

I have yet to enable Intrusion Prevention. It takes external storage to do so.

Good to know. Will IPS run off of an SD card or must a HDD be attach via USB?

snapper

That lead me to consider Synology.

I think its going to be an interesting time ahead as more of these devices come onto the market.

The only concern I have is what happens when the model is superseded, will the manufacturer stop updates for them and thus force you into an upgrade cycle?

I guess thats the advantage of Sophos/Untangle/pfSense et al; they work on commodity hardware...

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I think its going to be an interesting time ahead as more of these devices come onto the market.

The only concern I have is what happens when the model is superseded, will the manufacturer stop updates for them and thus force you into an upgrade cycle?

I guess thats the advantage of Sophos/Untangle/pfSense et al; they work on commodity hardware...

That is a good point. I have always felt that a consumer router has about a 3 year life. Updates seem to end in the 3-5 year range.

itGeeks

That is a good point and one that I would normally be concerned about however Synology has a good track record of not playing those games, I still have some Synology diskstations in production that are 2013 models and they still get all the updates including new OS versions so I think I could live with a 7 year life cycle, Heck chances are Synology would come out with something before EOL that we all just have to have. I have to tell you though I have been burned by HP in the past with one of there printers that was barely 2 years old, Microsoft came out with a new OS I think it was Windows 98 at the time and HP refused to come out with a driver for it and generic drivers would not work either, My great working Laser printer was now a boat anchor so its all Epson for me now.

itGeeks

Good to know. Will IPS run off of an SD card or must a HDD be attach via USB?

From what I read yes, I would use a class 10 and see how the speeds are. I can't test this because I don't have a card here, I will be trying it with a USB this weekend to see how the speeds are.

nrf

this is an interesting point, do many of us MITM the https connections to do the scanning? so far I have not gotten that deep into the technology and am hesitant to attempt it, relying instead on endpoint protection.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA17-075A

Edited by nrf

snapper

That is a good point and one that I would normally be concerned about however Synology has a good track record of not playing those games

Not sure I agree with you there; with the heartbleed bug, Synology released an update to the (then) current version DSM5 within 24 hours.

For their legacy product DSM4, it took 10 days.

Given that it should just have been a recompile of openssl to the right version, I cant see why it would take the extra 9 days for the legacy product to be updated...

That said, if I were in the market for such a router, I would seriously consider the RT2600ac; but treat it as a limited life product and upgrade once the replacement is ready.

So if it cost ukp200, I could expect it to last 2 years and cost me just over ukp8 per month. If it lasts longer, then its a bonus :)

i.e. treat it as a monthly security "subscription" rather than a one-off purchase. 

I have to tell you though I have been burned by HP in the past with one of there printers that was barely 2 years old, Microsoft came out with a new OS I think it was Windows 98 at the time and HP refused to come out with a driver for it and generic drivers would not work either, My great working Laser printer was now a boat anchor so its all Epson for me now.

for me, HP have always been fine, but Canon have been the bad guys!!!