RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviews

nrf

good point. I often worry about setting complicated stuff up as should something happen to me my family may be left with a big puzzle.

itGeeks

That is an understatement, I love the power and flexibility I get with the complicated stuff but as you say my family would be totally lost with out me at this point. I need to start thinking like a none geek for my family sake and without compromise on security if that's even possible ^_^

Jason

Created an Untangle 12 USB stick last night and browsed their online setup guides which, in themselves, are well done... may very well take the UT 12 Home plunge soon. Seems to match the functionality I'm using in UTM 9 but with a more refined UI.

My router box has 8 GB RAM, an old 60 GB OCZ SSD, Intel G1610 2.60 ghz LGA 1155 CPU and 4 NICs (2 Realtek, 2 Intel).

Will this hardware be sufficient for a 50/10 Mbps home connection or faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Jason I think you should be fine with that just use the 2 Intel NICs and not the Realtek. Peaple have said you can run 50 or so users with the J1900 CPU and your is spec a bit faster.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Celeron-J1900-vs-Intel-Celeron-G1610

Throw it on there get your feet wet, You can always install it on new hardware later if need be. You would just make a backup of your config and restore it on the new system. If you need any help during the learning pains I am more then willing to try and help. Good Luck, See you on the other side  :)

• Like 1

Jason

Wow.  Just started playing around with Untangle 12 (NG Complete) Home... coming from Sophos UTM 9.4 and not having any prior Untangle experience, I don't care for the UT interface at all.  Making me appreciate how good, flexible and efficient the Sophos UTM 9.4 really is.  Was really hoping for UT NG 12 Home to be a game changer, but don't know that I'm willing to suffer through it at this point.

Has anyone here, who has used Sophos UTM 9.4, migrated to Sophos XG?  Are the interfaces similar?  Else I'm rolling back to UTM 9.4 now.

itGeeks

Jason I mean no disrespect in what I am about to say but you seem to be all over the place as I am. I thought you looked at the online demo of Untangle and said it looked promising? What happen between the live demo and production that changed your mind?

As for using Sophos UTM 9.x and migrating XG, Yes I did use UTM 9.x and did the painful manual migration to XG and I can tell you they are not similar in any way, In fact any work around that worked in UTM 9.x will not work in XG. The interface is totally different so there will be a learning curve. What is it that you where trying to do in Untangle that you felt was so hard?

Please allow me to remind you that none of these products where set out to be home products so there will be challenges with all of them. Untangle is the only one that has decided to take an interest in the home segment by providing a 50.00 a year license to there full package and providing tech support. From my testing Untangle will be the least problems on your home network.

Jason

No disrespect taken. All fair questions. Have encountered a few short windows of to time to explore other options. Unfortunately I don't have spare hardware so it's a function of reimaging my router box, playing, quickly determining whether it will be viable (not having home internet down for family) or else rolling back to prior, working platform (UTM 9.4).

My primary motivation was due to an exhausting amount of web filter exceptions with HTTPS decrypt/scan enabled in UTM 9.4. Even then, they don't always work and, oddly enough, the UTM logs don't always indicate the obstacle, specific URL being accessed/blocked, etc. Enabling HTTPS scanning and having to make everything an exception seems counterproductive and bypassing the web filter for mobile devices too seems to defeat the purpose. Had hoped UT 12 had figured out this issue.

I had hoped that Untangle 12 NG Home would be the answer. Install was smooth, until I went to setup HTTPS web admin with a wildcard certificate. As luck would have it, UT doesn't support importing a certificate exported from another device. You must start over with a CSR, etc. Also wasn't straight forward how to add multiple static IPs from ISP and forward them to other devices behind the firewall. Once installed on the box, I found the UT UI much more clunky than UTM 9.4, but the Sophos XG feedback on the forums (from their devoted users) was terrifying

It was then I learned about and ordered a RT2600ac...

Ultimately, I rolled back the UTM 9.4 auto configuration on my hardware to get back online quickly. Even the UTM 9.4 config restore process didn't go as smoothly as expected.

So I'm a bit gunshy for now

nrf

sometimes I wonder if I would be better off with a 'simple' router. so much time futzing with the various possible router softwares, learning the hard way the ins and outs, and switching to another when some big disappointment comes along   :)

I invested quite a bit of time into UTM 9.x, and similarly opnsense. not sure how long before it disappoints me and I move on..

so is it all worth it? 

• Like 1

snapper

sometimes I wonder if I would be better off with a 'simple' router. so much time futzing with the various possible router softwares, learning the hard way the ins and outs, and switching to another when some big disappointment comes along   :)

I invested quite a bit of time into UTM 9.x, and similarly opnsense. not sure how long before it disappoints me and I move on..

so is it all worth it? 

Must admit i had the same thoughts a while back.

I ended up staying with UTM9 because I felt that stopping a compromise up front, or getting early alert of one getting through the door would take less time to sort out than if the worst happened and I had to sort that mess out.

I have a UTM9 setup based on the Drashna guide + some additional rules, and generally, it just works...

Looked at migrating to XG over christmas, but thought that UTM9 works fine, so why change?

Jason

Me also. I *thought* I wanted a simpler option from UTM 9.4 until I realized UT 12 presented its own host of challenges. Admittedly, I used to enjoy the challenge a bit more than I do now with family priorities.

That lead me to consider Synology.

With UTM 9.4, while my config is rather setup, I spend 80% of time with HTTPS scanning host/destination exceptions trial and error. At this point, simply because I'm determined to figure it out with such a mature platform. Whereas, based on their forums, I've learned I'm not alone and, for some of these things, there still isn't an explanation or proven resolution.