RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviews

itGeeks

Another great review by SNB, In short it shares the number 1 spot with Netgear R7800 in the AC2600 wireless routers.

http://Synology RT2600ac Router Reviewed

I have been waiting for this to be released and I am very excited to see the review, Mine will be here next week as a possible replacement for my Untangle VM.

Dave

Your link isn't working but here is a good first look video i found.  ;)

I'll gather some data on it and give you some results soon.  I really enjoyed the RT1900ac so I don't think this one will be any different.  I am going to work on using the higher powered VPN Plus Server and maybe some other features of the router.

Jason

Dave, how are you liking your RT2600ac? Been anxious to see your take on it once you've settled in. Is my understanding you were considering Untangle but opted for Synology.

I've ordered the RT2600ac but it could be a few weeks before it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

So far so good with it.  I am using it as my router and wi-fi which is replacing 6 eeros.  No small feat and it's not covering every corner that the eeros did but it's doing very good.  There is a long story about why it's in place so early in my testing.  I think I'll go over that on the next RESET Podcast. (mccabe.io)

• Like 1

Jason

Cool. Would be awesome if you wouldn't mind covering in next podcast.

Am itching to switch from Sophos UTM 9 in coming weeks:

1.) I have an RT2600ac on order. For now.

2.) Also played with the Untangle 12 online demo page. Very nice UI. Tempting.

3.) reviews of Sophos XG v16, even among Sophos Community, are discouraging. Particularly from those with prior UTM 9 experience for comparison. Making it difficult for me to consider Sophos XG in good conscience. No discredit to pcdoc whatsoever. I value his perspective - it's made this decision all the more difficult! I'm glad he's the exception.

itGeeks

So far so good with it.  I am using it as my router and wi-fi which is replacing 6 eeros.  No small feat and it's not covering every corner that the eeros did but it's doing very good.  There is a long story about why it's in place so early in my testing.  I think I'll go over that on the next RESET Podcast. (mccabe.io)

What, No more Eero in favor of a single AP? Can't wait to hear about it on Reset, Please be sure to announce the podcast here.

• Like 1

itGeeks

Cool. Would be awesome if you wouldn't mind covering in next podcast.

Am itching to switch from Sophos UTM 9 in coming weeks:

1.) I have an RT2600ac on order. For now.

2.) Also played with the Untangle 12 online demo page. Very nice UI. Tempting.

3.) reviews of Sophos XG v16, even among Sophos Community, are discouraging. Particularly from those with prior UTM 9 experience for comparison. Making it difficult for me to consider Sophos XG in good conscience. No discredit to pcdoc whatsoever. I value his perspective - it's made this decision all the more difficult! I'm glad he's the exception.

Congrats on the RT2600ac order, It is amazing its out of stock everywhere, I sure would like to know how Dave got his? I concur with your thoughts and findings on XG, Even though I have not played with it in a long time I still get notified from there forums when people post and it sure does seem like the problems keep coming. I just got Untangle back online after not using it for 9 months and boy how I missed it, Makes me wonder if I can really replace it with something else. The Synology router looks very exciting so I can't wait to try it and use there new VPN-Plus package, I guess time will tell if it will win me over. Right now I am trying to configure parental controls. Jason here is a good recorded webinar from Untangle,  Untangle 101: Untangle at Home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILmKRNHLYA&index=6&t=3s&list=PLEmLjXbx3TfBZy6vnPaUxocaQkr0ElfJF

Jason

For a while there Amazon had several in stock. Had it in my cart but never pulled the trigger.

As polished as the RT2600ac appears, I too wonder how it could replace Untangle 12 (from what I've seen). Want to make the move once and never expected it to be this tedious.

itGeeks

Synology is very polished and it will be easier to configure for the novice vs Untangle, Don't get me wrong Untangle is not that complicated if you know anything about routers. I would keep Untangle if I was not trying to do forward thinking in that I want something secure and easy enough that my daughter and son in-law can configure. Synology has there UI down to a science.