RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ad Blockers on HSS Forums

Dave

Hey All,

A lot of us are running Ad Blockers like Ublock Origin.  Well, that's the one I run anyways.  Would you mind adding HSS Forums to your safe sites list on your Ad Blocker?  If you don't the links you click on HSS don't count! Logged in users don't encounter a lot of ads anyway.  That would help out a lot.  Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1

This is one of those replies that I typed about 10 times and deleted. It rubbed me WAY the wrong way. Here is the nice version.

It's Google Ads. Members don't see them when logged in. So ya, I can certify it.  

Good question, thanks for bringing that up.  I do have a javascript applet that runs on the site that monetizes links.  Instead of me placing amazon, newegg, ebay, etc links one by one to monetize them, the applet sees them all and does the work for me.  Adblockers do block that.  If you click any links outgoing it does help the pay for the monthly fees.  They also block analytics but that's not as important to me as the applet.

Now, don't get me wrong, I run an adblocker.  However, if I participate on a site or read a site often I will unblock it.  Ads are served to non-logged in members. They are only google ads and not any of the garbage you see on websites today.  Taboola ads or crap like that, which I can't stand. It surprises me how many large sites run them. They must be making good $ off of them because I feel like they are selling their soul.  My ads are simple. Some google, some amazon, newegg, maybe an ebay ad. Simple stuff.  Mostly just to remind folks to shop through the site when they do.  

If you have an ad blocker and you click through the site on purpose to give me a kick back, your ad blocker will block it.  I often forget to do this on my own purchases.

As someone that runs 2 websites that dont charge the people that use it, I have resigned myself to run them just for the love of it, theres so much crap on the internet these days that adblockers are a given so trying to run revenue from them tends not to happen, the easiest way to deal with it I have found is to either have a "donation" link or just accept you'll never get anything from it...

IMHO of course...