RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Aurora client install fails

IvanV

Aurora beta preview up and running fine on robust new and dedicated hardware.

All appeared to be going well until I attempted to connect to the Aurora server from two attached PCs running Windows 7 64-bit Professional and Ultimate respectively.

When I start the installation by entering http://ServerName/Connect, I'm greeted by a screen that informs me that the PC meets the prerequisites, followed by a message to the effect that the procedure might take up to 30 minutes...

It then goes on to try to download files from the server and after several seconds pops up an error screen informing me that "An unexpected error has occurred..... and to go talk to myself (network administrator)... No further explanation and no help is available. Early beta software, etc. :angry:

Both client PCs produce identical results, so it would appear that the problem is not with the clients.

Anyone here experimenting with Aurora? Possible solution? If logs are created during this process, where might one look for them?

I'm stuck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I did read of an issue where computers could not connect if they had what Microsoft called invalid characters in the computer name. Make sure you just have letters, give that a try.

I did read of an issue where computers could not connect if they had what Microsoft called invalid characters in the computer name. Make sure you just have letters, give that a try.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Nice try, but both PCs are compliant in that regard.

Are you running the Client install software from the server? If so, download it to the client and run locally.

Please see the original message.

As per the documentation, I'm running this line from a browser session on the two networked clients with identical negative results: http://ServerName/Connect

I don't know of a way to do this from the server and I don't think one exists.

Thank you for your interest.

Have you tried it using the the IP address instead of the server name. Some client based software such as toolbars and such can block things. Try using the IP.

When you connect to the server you are given the option to "Run" or "Save". Save the installer to the client desktop. I have seen the error and this solved any issue I had when my Aurora and Vail test builds.

Makes no difference. Also no difference whichever browser I use.

As can be seen from the initial message, I have no trouble "talking to the server". The error pops up when the process of downloading software to the client is supposed to start. About 10 seconds after that screen pops up, I get the error message.

When you connect to the server you are given the option to "Run" or "Save". Save the installer to the client desktop. I have seen the error and this solved any issue I had when my Aurora and Vail test builds.

I have tried it both ways. Makes no difference.

Nice try, though.

There's a bug report on the connect site that looks like what's going on with your.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/611917/connector-fails-to-install-on-windows-7-ultimate-x64

You might have to wait until it's resolved or a workaround is found.

So it doesn't look like anything you might have done incorrectly.