RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Al_Borges

Goodbye to Windows 10 as a Homeserver

itGeeks

What am I missing?

If all you need is a nas pretty much anything will work for you.

Why did you have to go with qnap?

you are right -  Freenas/unraid et al would all work 

but I wanted a quick turnkey solution -   I was also  interested in a good App Store that had easy to install, supported Apps

I  tested both unraid and freenas a couple of years ago and was not happy with the way they handled apps/extensions

based on what I saw at the homeserver show meetups first hand -  it was a close decision between QNAP and Synology

but in the end,  the HDMI port  put me over the top -  I have a long HDMI cable strung from my server room ( okay, utility/furnace room)  into my adjacent workshop hooked into a tv

voila instant plex client 

Freenas should have worked for you just fine. Or omv or even unraid.

Not only that, it would have worked much better on the same hardware you run Windows 10 on.

So what was your thoughts and decisions process?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Al normally it does come down to 3 things when deciding between Synology and QNAP, do you need HDMI hookup and or you want to run VM's on your NAS then your only choice is QNAP. As much I love Synology I do wish the hardware was more on par with QNAP in terms of performance but I still can't complain.

itGeeks

I've been running xpenology for 2 years now and will never go back to anything else. Grab a old computer and install. Your up and running in 10 minutes. Also the forum will help out if you have questions. http://xpenology.me/

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I thought about going this rout several times but decided not to based on lack of support and windows of upgrade and it looks to me like I made the rite choice not using it. It looks like after reading on the site that DSM6.x may never be made available, I did read something awhile back that Synology was using some sort of new encryption with DSM6 and that would but a wrench into the xpenology project and seeing its over a year later and no update those rummer seem to be true. Have a look at the bottom of page on this link: http://xpenology.me/synology-dsm-6-coming/

MGD9000

I thought about going this rout several times but decided not to based on lack of support and windows of upgrade and it looks to me like I made the rite choice not using it. It looks like after reading on the site that DSM6.x may never be made available, I did read something awhile back that Synology was using some sort of new encryption with DSM6 and that would but a wrench into the xpenology project and seeing its over a year later and no update those rummer seem to be true. Have a look at the bottom of page on this link: http://xpenology.me/synology-dsm-6-coming/

I'm running DSM 6.0.2 update 9 You need to use Jun's loader 1.1 when I get off work I'll give you all the links you need to get started. Also Jun is working on update 10 as we speak.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Interesting, Still not sure I would use this in production if there has to be a lot of messing around with bootloaders and such for updates. I look forward to the links. At the time when I was going to try and build my own I was going to use this case http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17617

and this motherboard https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

The CPU has a passmark score of 3800 so I should be able to stream 2 Blu-ray movies with trans-coding using Plex, I would have to revisit the motherboard options to see whats available now.

ImTheTypeOfGuy
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, itGeeks said:

thought about

I was looking for unRAID and found this thread. A lot of good opinions, thoughts, etc. Did anyone go wiith unRAID?

For those that are using servers today, especially the microserver crowd, what OS are you running? I see S2016 is about $400. I feel like I always want to have an OS that allows me to create VM's. Of course it is expensive but I am willing to pay that if I feel it is the product I want to use.

I like the idea someone posted about having a NAS just for file management and keeping virtualization, media requirements, etc on a completely separate box. Sounds like it would definitely simplify things. I currently have a WHS v1 as my file server, bare metal backups, and media server. I also have an HTPC. I also have a S2008R2 that is primarily for backup my my WHSv1 and my BlueIris (surveillance software) software. I am afraid my WHS v1 may die so I have been looking at an alternative. I don't like Synology hardware due to the lack of high end performance. I don't care it is just serving files, it needs to be at least an i5 or higher. At least that is my current thought. I have been debating a plex server but not sure where all the content for it comes from (more research needed). I have been posting back and forth with itGeeks on xpenology. I am also looking into Stablebit DrivePool to see if I can use it as a file server, with security. As you can see I am struggling to figure out my next move.

MGD9000

I was looking for unRAID and found this thread. A lot of good opinions, thoughts, etc. Did anyone go wiith unRAID?

For those that are using servers today, especially the microserver crowd, what OS are you running? I see S2016 is about $400. I feel like I always want to have an OS that allows me to create VM's. Of course it is expensive but I am willing to pay that if I feel it is the product I want to use.

I like the idea someone posted about having a NAS just for file management and keeping virtualization, media requirements, etc on a completely separate box. Sounds like it would definitely simplify things. I currently have a WHS v1 as my file server, bare metal backups, and media server. I also have an HTPC. I also have a S2008R2 that is primarily for backup my my WHSv1 and my BlueIris (surveillance software) software. I am afraid my WHS v1 may die so I have been looking at an alternative. I don't like Synology hardware due to the lack of high end performance. I don't care it is just serving files, it needs to be at least an i5 or higher. At least that is my current thought. I have been debating a plex server but not sure where all the content for it comes from (more research needed). I have been posting back and forth with itGeeks on xpenology. I am also looking into Stablebit DrivePool to see if I can use it as a file server, with security. As you can see I am struggling to figure out my next move.
Go with esxi.. I run xpenology plex and Windows 10 on it.

ImTheTypeOfGuy
8 hours ago, MGD9000 said:

Go with esxi.. I run xpenology plex and Windows 10 on it.

When you say esxi are you talking about VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5? I am not familiar with their products outside of a corporate environment so am not sure.

MGD9000
When you say esxi are you talking about VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5? I am not familiar with their products outside of a corporate environment so am not sure.
Here is a old video I made just so you can get an idea. ESXi is free

ImTheTypeOfGuy
2 hours ago, MGD9000 said:

Here is a old video I made just so you can get an idea. ESXi is free

So are you the guy behind behind My Playhouse? I watched several of your videos yesterday and thanks. If not, thanks for the video here.

My question was about VMware and installing it. However I saw a video about that on My PlayHouse so I will have to watch it.

Thanks again!

MGD9000
So are you the guy behind behind My Playhouse? I watched several of your videos yesterday and thanks. If not, thanks for the video here.

My question was about VMware and installing it. However I saw a video about that on My PlayHouse so I will have to watch it.

Thanks again!
I'm not the guy from My playhouse lol but I do watch all his videos. His name is Mortem. Good luck to you. Hope you find a solution.
  • Like 1