RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Al_Borges

Goodbye to Windows 10 as a Homeserver

schoondoggy

I am constantly training myself. production is for companies. although much of my training can be done with the 90 or 180 day eval disks, sometimes you need something stable underneath. some of the older technet images won't update themselves without activation, and I have been known to spin up 3 different vms in a day for various activities and I prefer they use up-to-date os.

The term production applies to personal or business use. If you have deployed a server in your home that backs up your client PC's, that would be a production server. The alternative to production is test/development/lab/education. If you are teaching yourself Server 2016 by testing and experimenting, that would not be production. The timed eval disks work well for lab use, but they of course are timed and tend to die right in the middle of testing. MSDN is the best solution for labs, but it is not cheap. If you move a server from lab to production, you need to have a valid license for it. MSDN or Dreamspark/Imagine are not licensed for production use, test/development/lab/education use only. To participate in Dreamspark/Imagine you need to be a full time student or educator and only use it for test/development/lab/education.

I come from an Enterprise IT world and I take software licensing very seriously. I miss Technet as well, it was a great program in support of test/development/lab/education.

Microsoft canceled the download side of Technet due to usage abuse.  

• Like 1

nrf

good to see microsoft is represented in the forums. of course they require verification of education status as you may or may not know.

Joe_Miner

The term production applies to personal or business use. If you have deployed a server in your home that backs up your client PC's, that would be a production server. The alternative to production is test/development/lab/education. If you are teaching yourself Server 2016 by testing and experimenting, that would not be production. The timed eval disks work well for lab use, but they of course are timed and tend to die right in the middle of testing. MSDN is the best solution for labs, but it is not cheap. If you move a server from lab to production, you need to have a valid license for it. MSDN or Dreamspark/Imagine are not licensed for production use, test/development/lab/education use only. To participate in Dreamspark/Imagine you need to be a full time student or educator and only use it for test/development/lab/education.

I come from an Enterprise IT world and I take software licensing very seriously. I miss Technet as well, it was a great program in support of test/development/lab/education.

Microsoft canceled the download side of Technet due to usage abuse.  

Very good summary, Thanks!

nrf

microsoft deputies may want to review the current license agreement that goes with server 2016 before making declarations. did you find the word 'production' in it? when downloading the software you agree to the terms linked there.

https://imagine.microsoft.com/en-us/About/LicenseAgreement

but we are getting off topic here

Edited by nrf

schoondoggy

good to see microsoft is represented in the forums. of course they require verification of education status as you may or may not know.

I do not work for Microsoft.

vl1969

What am I missing?

If all you need is a nas pretty much anything will work for you.

Why did you have to go with qnap?

Freenas should have worked for you just fine. Or omv or even unraid.

Not only that, it would have worked much better on the same hardware you run Windows 10 on.

So what was your thoughts and decisions process?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

itGeeks

I am not sure about the OP but my reasons for going with Synology NAS as the replacement for Microsoft was due to the huge app store, rock soled hardware & the constant updates. Like the OP I wanted an appliance that needs very little hand holding. I would never look back at this point, Its night and day to what I use to deal with with Microsoft servers, In fact the only reason I held on as long as I did was because of Microsoft BMR but after several failed restores I gave up. I wish Synology came out with a software only offer, I would gladly pay few hundred dollars for it.

itGeeks

Well,  I've stopped using Windows 10 Home as my home server

been using W8/W10  as a replacement for WHS2.0  for several years now

but the constant upgrade cycle seems to break something every couple of weeks or so.

The "windows as  service"  model is kinda broken -  to make things worse you get nagged to change default apps  with every major update. 

at this point in my home computing infrastructure -   I want an appliance -  not a hobby. 

prior to last years anniversary update, I only had to login to administer the darn thing every month or so. 

I think you have more options for configuring a  Windows 10 Pro install so that may still be viable option for many.

Replaced it with a QNAP TS451 and so far very happy with it. 

Went with QNAP based on the comments in this forum and checking it out at several Homeserver show meetups over the last few years 

So it pays to read the occasional post on various topics -  you may end up needing the info at some future date. 

What I will miss is Drivepool/DriveScanner -       Stablebits  -  please come out with a FreeNas/Unraid/Open media vault   version of your software !!!

You are a better man then I, I gave up on Microsoft about 3 years ago after getting tired of something always braking and or not working. I purchased my very 1st NAS back in 2013, It was a Synology DS213 and after several months with it I feel in love with Synology and outgrew it so I purchased there DS1812+, I sold that in 2015 to a forum member and purchased there faster DS1815+.

I am just wondering y you need Drivepool/DriveScanner on your NAS? Synology offers a new btrfs file system on there + models, Its much better the the old ext4 file system. In short it supports 'file scrubbing' and 'self healing' you can read about it here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs

A Guide to Synology BTRFS NAS file system - Advance in Network Attached Storage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0889N40Ko

vl1969

Or for cheaps, you can try rockstore. Use any hardware you want , uses btrfs as well

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

JackoUK

"Well,  I've stopped using Windows 10 Home as my home server been using W8/W10  as a replacement for WHS2.0  for several years now but the constant upgrade cycle seems to break something every couple of weeks or so."

Disclaimer. I am wall-to-wall W10Pro: DELL 9200 (2007), VOSTRO 430 (2011), SAMSUNG RF511 (2012), 4 x HP Microservers from the earliest model to the newest always at the lowest spec., 2x LINX 1010 tablets.

Unusually, I find myself in the blue corner defending MSFT here. The only problem I've had with Windows was when HP screwed up the W8 network driver so W8.1 wouldn't install..

I like PRO for remote access ... but if I was not rolling over W7 licenses with cheap upgrades to W8 and then free to W10 I would probably have looked elsewhere.

I have not availed myself of the installation delay option, not seen any forced settings changes, if I miss a maintenance checkpoint Windows tells me to restart ... only the ads to purchase Office 2016 annoy me ... and I'm too lazy to stop them recurring.

But that's just me ... the reason MSFT has increasingly gone for the Insider programme and progressive roll-outs is surely to field compatibility problems with the gazillions of hardware variants in the installed base.

I also think "why buy an expensive NAS when you can have a cheap general purpose computer?" (The HP MS GEN 8 hovers around £120 here in the UK.)

Edited by JackoUK