RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Circle Home Follow Up

Dave

It's time to follow up on Circle.  https://meetcircle.com/ I talked about it a little bit on RESET 17.  I thought I would get a little deeper into the "trick" i have used so we can discuss it deeper.  I know some of you have Circle so we can compare notes.  Here is what I've found.

It doesn't like eero wifi in AP mode.  If you try to fire it up I've found that it will not install if your eero is not in router mode.  So here comes my "trick."  Setup a separate access point with a different vendor and pair the circle to that.  I used Almond3.  Then turn off that separate access point and plug in circle into the ethernet of your main switch.  Done, works like a champ.

Sometimes it likes roblox.com and sometimes it doesn't! My kids drive me nuts wanting to play Roblox. I wish it would just go away honestly but they love it.  Circle got confused last weekend and allowed them to play the game while their profile was set to Kid. The next weekend it filtered the game.  You can do explicit allow or deny so that's where I'm headed with Roblox.  

Filtering sites works like a champ! Time limits work but it literally it counts access time to the internet. It doesn't count time of your kid on the couch with the iPad.  You still have to parent with Circle in place!

Ok. Discuss your history with Circle.  Ask questions if you don't have one and are interested in the box.

Thanks for the follow-up to this Dave.

I am sadly in an Eero-only home... although that may change. Don't get me wrong, Eero has been much less buggy for me than you, but its enough that I am looking at Orbi (or something else).

Ok, here are my questions about Circle. I wish their site was better, but sadly I think we are NOT the target demographic.

1. Can I block all app on my child's iPad? I.E. Turn the iPad into a brick until X time?

2. Can I set a specific time (after school) for the iPad to work only on Safari? (Homework mode?)

3. How granular can settings be? For example, can I say "no Minecraft until after 5pm"

I don't really want to be a server admin at home any more than I have to, I also need this to be fairly straightforward for my wife since I travel a lot.

Just saw that it is $85 on Amazon too.  That's a good deal.

Thanks for the follow-up to this Dave.

I am sadly in an Eero-only home... although that may change. Don't get me wrong, Eero has been much less buggy for me than you, but its enough that I am looking at Orbi (or something else).

Ok, here are my questions about Circle. I wish their site was better, but sadly I think we are NOT the target demographic.

1. Can I block all app on my child's iPad? I.E. Turn the iPad into a brick until X time?

2. Can I set a specific time (after school) for the iPad to work only on Safari? (Homework mode?)

3. How granular can settings be? For example, can I say "no Minecraft until after 5pm"

I don't really want to be a server admin at home any more than I have to, I also need this to be fairly straightforward for my wife since I travel a lot.

You can set up access time for your child. Internet. Not iPad. Any games that operate locally still work.

I need to play around with question 2.

Not that granular as I understand.  You can turn an app on or off and/or setup internet access time frames.

Some odd behaviors around the house became clear this weekend.

My 8-year old Son was way into Roblox and we stopped him from playing. Took away his Hackintosh and Laptop. iPad only.

Noticed oddly some of my indoor security cameras were being unplugged, but didn't think a lot of it. 

This weekend instituted Circle and put all tech he's on to Kid mode. Nonetheless 6:30 a.m. on Saturday he was up only later to

find out he had figured out password to my desktop and was playing Roblox on it. Showed him history and he still denied it. 

Changed PIN's on every PC in the house and took all his tech away.

Go figure, Socially Engineered by an 8-year old who was figuring out  PIN by looking over my shoulder. Oh well, bye Roblox.