RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I SCREWED up!

efmrrt

I was on the road for the last week and a half. While on the road, during the evening hours in the hotel, I had free time. At the time, this sounded like a good ideal but it wasn't. Here is what I did.

HP EX495 - working great with no problems. I can even connect remotely from inside my house. I have one home computer setup to access from when I'm on the road. I thought that since I was able to access the 495 from home that I had it setup to access from the road as well. The thought was it was done when the 495 was setup in April.

Well, my failing memory proved wrong. Below are a list of steps that I did and the troubles that I have.

1. After realizing that I was unable to remote (RDC)access the 495, I RDC the home computer.

2. Once connected to the home computer I verified the router to the port that I thought was assigned to the 495 for RDC.

3. After verifying that that was the port assigned to the 495, I RDC the 495.

4. I checked the port for RDC and it was the same as the home computer.

5. So I figured it would just be simple to change the RDC port on the 495. I changed it to 3391 to correspond with the router.

6. Rebooted the 495.

7. After 5 mins. I tried to access the 495 via RDC. Still unable to get it, I verified that it was on line and visited the site. Okay its working.

8. RDC the home computer, that's working. Tried to access (RDC) the 495 via the home computer - not working.

9. Got home last night and tried it still it will not let me in. I can no longer access it very RDC or by clicking on the windows home server console. I get the error code "This computer cannot connect to the Home Server. Verify that it is on . . . . . " A red light is on the front of the 495.

10. I opened up more ports on the router and tried to RDC between 3388 to 3399 with no luck.

11. Ran a port sniffer on the LAN side and their is nothing in the 3000's open.

Any thoughts as to how to regain control of my 495? My only thoughts are to try to connect to one of the ports that are open, plug a key board in and do it blind or to try to add a usb video card.

Edited by efmrrt

Not sure I fully understand what you did, but here's some info for future reference:

WHS uses port 4125 (RDP proxy) for RDP through the web interface. If your plan is to access machines capable of hosting RDP from your WHS, then you only need to do two things. Port forward 4125 to WHS, and ensure that RDP connections are allowed on any computer you'd like access to.

You might take an additional step. Using Address Reservation (LAN Setup tab in my Netgear router), create a 'static' internal IP for WHS. Once that's done, then set port 4125 to WHS's 'static' internal IP.

Edited by dvn

Make sure the ports that are forwarded are to the IP address of server. Try using the IP Address of the server for RDP instead of the Host name. You need to be very careful about opening more than exact ports needed for connectivity.

Do not want to duplicate the answers but it does sound like you are not forwarding to the server. I would not open any ports except 4125 and 443 and as the others have stated, make sure they are configured in your router to a "fixed" IP on your server. It might help if you stated how you configured your router.

Not that I am any help here but it sounds like the problem is even present on his home network. He stated he can't RDC into the WHS or connect through the console AND the server has a red light on the front.

I made a remote desktop connection to the HP EX495. Went into the RegEdit then to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\

Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\

and changed the listening port to, I thought, 3391.

I can no longer use Remote Desktop Connection to access the 495. However, the HTTP and FTP portions are still running and accessible. I have made all the proper changes to the router and still not access it.

In the past I have changed the RDP listening ports on machines so I could establish RDC with them from the road or the house, this is the only time it hasn't worked.

Hope that helps you to understand the problem.

OK. Looks like it's going to be a Server Recovery. Good luck with that. Should be fine, though it's times like this that you hope your server backups are fairly current, just to be on the safe side.

Once you're done, make sure you observe what I outlined with respect to port forwarding, AND be sure to also include port 443 in your port forwarding (good catch, pcdoc). So all together, it's ports 80, 443, and 4125 forwarded to your WHS internal IP, plus Remote Desktop enabled on each individual machine you need to access.

*If you're feeling adventurous, you might try recreating the .reg key on a thumb drive with an autorun. Don't know how feasible that is, but it's a thought.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp]
"PortNumber"=dword:00000d3d

Edited by dvn

I made a remote desktop connection to the HP EX495. Went into the RegEdit then to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\

Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\

and changed the listening port to, I thought, 3391.

I can no longer use Remote Desktop Connection to access the 495. However, the HTTP and FTP portions are still running and accessible. I have made all the proper changes to the router and still not access it.

In the past I have changed the RDP listening ports on machines so I could establish RDC with them from the road or the house, this is the only time it hasn't worked.

Hope that helps you to understand the problem.

I assume you changed your router accordingly? Since you where able to log in, is there a reason you messed with the registry to change to port? I am still not clear if your router and 495 are in sync. If you can use HTTP and FTP, then it implies a port forwarding issue of some sorts.

I assume you changed your router accordingly? Since you where able to log in, is there a reason you messed with the registry to change to port? I am still not clear if your router and 495 are in sync. If you can use HTTP and FTP, then it implies a port forwarding issue of some sorts.

Would it be possible to start Remote Desktop on his PC and enter an IP like so?

192.168.1.30:3391

Would that override RDP's default 3389 and allow access?

This is interesting. I attached my WHS sys drive to my desktop PC and loaded its HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System hive into regedit. When I searched for CurrentControlSet, it wasn't there. ControlSet001 and 003 were present. So I entered both of those, and continued along the path as though I were entering from CurrentControlSet, and found the PortNumber DWORD - 3389 - at the end of both paths.

efmmrrt, if you're at the point where you're ready to perform Server Recovery, you might try your hand at editing the registry first.

Now I don't fully understand why CurrentControlSet is not present when you load the System hive from offline, but I can guess. CurrentControlSet is a dynamic key which is generated on the fly, maybe at some point just before Windows loads. And once you shut your computer down, it disappears. Someone confirm this?

Anyway, in efmrrt's case, I wonder if the value of the DWORD PortNumber in those two places will reflect the change he made to PortNumber under the CurrentControlSet key. So what I'd do is load the hive as I said, navigate to each of those places and confirm that the value is 3391. If that's the case, change them both to 3389 and give that a shot. (I checked and can confirm that those values are 3389 in my EX495.)

Remember, if you do this, you must unload the temporary hive before closing regedit. Do not forget to do this or all bets are off. The word is that you can corrupt the hive you're editing if you don't. However, you cannot accidentally screw up and unload an active hive, so don't worry about that. The OS will not let you. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need further assistance.

**To load an offline hive:

Start regedit, highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, go to File > Load Hive and navigate to x:\WINDOWS\system32\config where ‘x’ is the drive letter of your WHS system (SYS) drive. Select the file 'system' and hit OK to load. Give the hive a temp name – tempSystem - for example. Now you can navigate the section of your WHS's registry that you'll be editing. Please remember to unload the hive before closing regedit.

Edited by dvn
clarification of hive loading procedure