Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone using Crashplan for server backup?


Recommended Posts

AlaskanDruid
1 hour ago, GavinCampbell said:

I have a virutal machine running on my Server2016 box with crashplan installed.  It "works" but is a PAIN to setup because crashplan doesn't support a configuration with network drives and you are essentially tricking it into working.

 

Can you share this information? It totally slipped my mind about crashplans and network drives. 

Edited by AlaskanDruid
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • AlaskanDruid

    5

  • GavinCampbell

    4

  • Drashna Jaelre

    4

  • WHS_Refugee

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

S3 was costing me between $30-$40 AUD per month for average 10-20GB of upload and just over 200GB of storage. Using Glacier has reduced the bill to $7 AUD per month. I retrieved just 1 file to test th

I haven't used CrashPlan in years but still recommend the service.  When I started using it on WHS 2011 I was on a 1.5Mbps DSL line.  I think the upload was .75.  It was horrible! We left on vacation

I am using Crashplan on WS 2016 Essentials to backup my Drivepool (approx. 6TB) to a WS2016 STD across my LAN. I use NIC Teaming on both servers and have no issues. I know WS 2016 isn't listed as

AlaskanDruid
1 hour ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

@AlaskanDruid There are a number of services like CrashPlan.  Off the top of my head: Backblaze. 

However, you may want to check out this link: http://alternativeto.net/software/crashplan/

Alternative To is a great site for finding ... well, alternative solutions. Not sure if any of these allow you to specify a NIC, though. 

That said, yeah, you can do this with routing, but that's a lot more complicated. And if you're not familiar with it, troubleshotting may be a nightmare. 

To update on my adventures... I tried out BackBlaze. No network drives supported. Servers not supported (no multiple NICs). And it has a massive security hole they refuse to fix (there's no private key, it's a key shared with Backblaze.. bad, bad, bad). I'll keep on looking on that page..TY for it, btw!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using Crashplan on WS 2016 Essentials to backup my Drivepool (approx. 6TB) to a WS2016 STD across my LAN. I use NIC Teaming on both servers and have no issues.

I know WS 2016 isn't listed as supported but I have had no issues installing or running Crashplan in this config.  

I also run an offsite backup to another WS2012 R2 server which I seeded onsite first.

I backup my main server  and the client backups using the standard Windows Server Backup configured via the Essentials Dashboard, rotating two 4Tb drives to an offsite location.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Drashna Jaelre
6 hours ago, AlaskanDruid said:

To update on my adventures... I tried out BackBlaze. No network drives supported. Servers not supported (no multiple NICs). And it has a massive security hole they refuse to fix (there's no private key, it's a key shared with Backblaze.. bad, bad, bad). I'll keep on looking on that page..TY for it, btw!

Yikes.  

I don't use them, so hadn't really looked into it.  Links about this? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
GavinCampbell
7 hours ago, AlaskanDruid said:

Can you share this information? It totally slipped my mind about crashplans and network drives. 

Here you go...

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_Files_From_A_Windows_Network_Drive

Since finding this (Its been a while) it wasn't as bad as I thought.  The pain in the ass part was trying to get it working in the older version as it ran as a service (which is mentioned in this document).  The way I have it set up now wasn't as bad but I also have my server auto login and launch crashplan on start as a user.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
AlaskanDruid
23 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Yikes.  

I don't use them, so hadn't really looked into it.  Links about this? 

This does a great job explaining the security hole: https://www.backblaze.com/backup-encryption.html 

They keep a copy of your key (that they generated) in order to decrypt and send over SSL back to you. When more than you have the key, you are screwed :(

There is, however a passphrase and 2 factor (I did not use those because by default ... you have the hole).

23 hours ago, GavinCampbell said:

Here you go...

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_Files_From_A_Windows_Network_Drive

Since finding this (Its been a while) it wasn't as bad as I thought.  The pain in the ass part was trying to get it working in the older version as it ran as a service (which is mentioned in this document).  The way I have it set up now wasn't as bad but I also have my server auto login and launch crashplan on start as a user.

 

Thank you very much! I ended up setting a virtual box and installed crashplan on it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Drashna Jaelre
On 4/26/2017 at 8:50 PM, AlaskanDruid said:

This does a great job explaining the security hole: https://www.backblaze.com/backup-encryption.html 

They keep a copy of your key (that they generated) in order to decrypt and send over SSL back to you. When more than you have the key, you are screwed :(

There is, however a passphrase and 2 factor (I did not use those because by default ... you have the hole)

So, basically, they can quickly and easily decrypt your data for any law enforcement agency that asks.  Or any business or individual that asks. 

Yeah, that's ... fantastic. 2FA or not, that's just not secure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
Hemantaryaa

hey thanks for sharing such an awesome useful resources with me, I also wanna suggest you some great online backup platforms other then crashplan. You can use these crashplan alternatives from today onward. here is the list of top crashplan alternatives at Blogsubway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...