RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone using Crashplan for server backup?

I just tried Amazon Cloud Drive unlimited with Cloudberry but unfortunately it doesn't support encryption yet. In that case, will stick with CrashPlan and Glacier for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlaskanDruid

• GavinCampbell

• Drashna Jaelre

• WHS_Refugee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

S3 was costing me between $30-$40 AUD per month for average 10-20GB of upload and just over 200GB of storage. Using Glacier has reduced the bill to $7 AUD per month. I retrieved just 1 file to test th

I haven't used CrashPlan in years but still recommend the service.  When I started using it on WHS 2011 I was on a 1.5Mbps DSL line.  I think the upload was .75.  It was horrible! We left on vacation

I am using Crashplan on WS 2016 Essentials to backup my Drivepool (approx. 6TB) to a WS2016 STD across my LAN. I use NIC Teaming on both servers and have no issues. I know WS 2016 isn't listed as

Small problem there mate. Crashplan does not support WSE of any variety anylonger.

Bummed me out too when I discovered this.

I didn't realize that Crashplan quit support Windows Server.  Looks like from their site 4.8.0 and newer aren't supported.  That said, my WSE 2012R2 server is running Crashplan 4.8.0 (it likes to auto-update the engine software) just fine.  I've even been able to set up the GUI on my desktop so that it connects to the server show I can check status without needing to remote into the server.  Since the engine runs as a service, it doesn't require logging into the server in order for backups to run (I think most other systems are similar).

I'm about 3 years into a 4 year family subscription.  My server backs up approx. 1.2TB of data, that's just what I deemed critical enough to want cloud backup for, I still have plenty of other data that is only backed up locally (if at all).  Initial seed 3 years ago was quite challenging, I have less than 1Mbps up, so it took a couple months to finish.  Since then there's usually only a few gigabytes at a time to upload, so it typically finishes in a day or so.  I think my initial seed amount was around 700-800GB.  The client also runs on my desktop computer, but that only backs up about 2GB of data.

We have Crashplan at work too, but that client is a bit different than the one at home.  From what I remember, a lot of the features are the same, though our IT group forces a number of the settings so I haven't been able to configure it as well as I like (mostly exclusions for generated files, C/C++ compilers go through a lot of them).

WHS_Refugee

I found this, on the System Requirements page for CrashPlan for Home:

https://support.crashplan.com/Getting_Started/Code42_CrashPlan_System_Requirements

Windows
  • 1 GHz CPU
  • 1 GB Memory
  • 450 MB free drive space
  • Windows operating systems:
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8, 8.1
    • Windows 10
    • Server 2008 R2
    • Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2
  • Oracle Java (JRE) 7 or later1

And the software version policy (for version 4.8):

https://support.crashplan.com/Terms_And_Conditions/Product_Lifecycle_Policy/CrashPlan_For_Home_Software_Version_Policy

Windows
Operating System Status In Code42 Cloud
  • Windows 10
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
Supported
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2012
  • Windows Server 2008 R2
Supported

I use Crashplan on WSE 2012 R2 with no issues what-so-ever.

Obviously speed is largely restricted by your interent connection. 

On a 50Mb fibre line I get about 200kbps which is bearable, however if I allow Crashplan 100% bandwidth then everything slows to a crawl.

I normally limit the speed to 25% when people are online and 100% when they're not.

The WSE 2012/2016 Kernel is based on the same Kernel as W8.1/W10 respectively - most apps that will run on "regular" Windows should run on the Server even if they don't expressly state comparability. Link

(Obviously there are other factors that can come into play and some apps may impose artificial limitations).

• 2 months later...
AlaskanDruid

Crashplan barely supports Windows Server 2008+. I know this due to the recent support tickets I had to open up.

Do note that Crashplan is only usable on systems with a single NIC and single IP address.

Due to horrendously low data caps (fast speed, low data cap), I had a second ISP installed into my house (slow speed, no data cap). With the intention of using the 2nd ISP for backups and some plex streaming only.

Lo and behold, despite the "interface" setup under "networking" tab, Crashplan will only use the default nic (binding order, and forcebind does not work). I talked to support since it doesn't make sense for ANY server app NOT to have the ability to bind to an IP or a NIC. They said no plans. Even though they "support" the windows server series... CrashPlan is not mean't to run on any server of any kind.

You may want to look for a legit server supported backup software, if you ever plan on having multiple NICs/IPs. I'm still on the look out.

Drashna Jaelre

That's ... depressing.  Especially as plenty of consumer grade boards support dual NICs...

AlaskanDruid

I am speccing out options if I really, really, want to stick with CrashPlan (if there's no other choice, I haven't found any -at all- yet).

I could do what I did with Plex. I created a virtual box of Mint Linux and installed Plex on that, and only have that virtualbox see the correct NIC. Then I bound my host's network drive to Mint, and everything worked correctly. (My setup is actually 2 plex servers, one for internal, and the other for external since Plex has the exact same issue/bug).

Could create another virtual box just for CrashPlan. Same mappings, etc.

I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to use a ... "route" command to somehow force crashplan onto the proper nic... but I haven't research much into that yet.

Drashna Jaelre

@AlaskanDruid There are a number of services like CrashPlan.  Off the top of my head: Backblaze. 

However, you may want to check out this link: http://alternativeto.net/software/crashplan/

Alternative To is a great site for finding ... well, alternative solutions. Not sure if any of these allow you to specify a NIC, though. 

That said, yeah, you can do this with routing, but that's a lot more complicated. And if you're not familiar with it, troubleshotting may be a nightmare. 

GavinCampbell
17 hours ago, AlaskanDruid said:

Could create another virtual box just for CrashPlan. Same mappings, etc.

I have a virutal machine running on my Server2016 box with crashplan installed.  It "works" but is a PAIN to setup because crashplan doesn't support a configuration with network drives and you are essentially tricking it into working.

I have CP running on my WSE12R2 box. Am backing up data but not a remote backup of my server image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk