RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone using Crashplan for server backup?

WHS_Refugee

I was thinking about signing up with Crashplan to backup my WSE 2012 R2 server.  Is anyone else out there using Crashplan?  I was wondering if the software will install on server OS, and if you can get the same plan as on client OS ($60/year), so they don't think you're some kind of business.  I could conceivably have several terabytes to backup, between the internal drives and the USB-connected external drive.

If you're using Crashplan, what's your opinion of it?  Did it take a long time to do the initial backup?  I'm on 60/60 FiOS.  I have Crashplan backup at work, so I'm somewhat familiar with the client software.

Small problem there mate. Crashplan does not support WSE of any variety anylonger.

Bummed me out too when I discovered this.

I was running crashplan on my Server 2012 R2 just fine for a while.  When I upgraded to 2016 I moved everything I could into a VM just to keep it clean and Crashplan is running fine in the VM.  I don't see why it won't work if you install it on WSE 2016.

I have about 1TB of data backed up.  It did take a while to do the initial backup but that was my network limits more than anything.

I'm happy.  It does what it says.

I was running crashplan on my Server 2012 R2 just fine for a while.  When I upgraded to 2016 I moved everything I could into a VM just to keep it clean and Crashplan is running fine in the VM.  I don't see why it won't work if you install it on WSE 2016.

I have about 1TB of data backed up.  It did take a while to do the initial backup but that was my network limits more than anything.

I'm happy.  It does what it says.

How did that work?  Did you create the VM, run Connect on it to connect it to the server, install Crashplan, and have it backup the Shared Folders?  Any other info? 

I use Cloudberry to AWS (Glacier). Restore is slow but cheap. S3 is instant restore but dearer. When I say slow it took about 2 hours to gain access to my files.

I'm using both Cloudberry to AWS Glacier and CrashPlan. Because

I used CP first and reliably. Got Glacier to test and use as redundant backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Cloudberry to AWS (Glacier). Restore is slow but cheap. S3 is instant restore but dearer. When I say slow it took about 2 hours to gain access to my files.

Hi Poppapete

I use the same, have been backing up Photos/Home videos and Documents to S3 for last 6 years. When Cloudberry introduced the archive option to move files into Glacier status after a set period of time I changed all my Photos/Videos to instant Glacier but left documents on S3 with a 90 day versioning enabled.

Have never needed to restore from Glacier or S3 storage (fortunately), curious as to how much data you needed to retrieve and how much it cost.

I've currently got around 120GB of data in Glacier spanning around 15 years of digital camera photos/videos and some older scanned slides / pictures. It only costs around £1.20 a month (£15 a year) to store these but I've often wondered what the cost would be to recover any of it!

I also back all photos up to Flickr and Google Photos as well as having iCloud enabled for the Apple devices which are the primary photo tool these days so I'm pretty well covered i think!!

Cheers

Matt

How did that work?  Did you create the VM, run Connect on it to connect it to the server, install Crashplan, and have it backup the Shared Folders?  Any other info? 

I have my WSE as clean as possible.  All apps/scripts I use are installed on VM's and I have crashplan setup to backup a network drive I have mapped to my WSE.

Even though they say this setup is not supported they provide details here.

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_Files_From_A_Windows_Network_Drive

If your not comfortable with that then just install it directly on WSE.  It will work and is easy to setup.

I haven't used CrashPlan in years but still recommend the service.  When I started using it on WHS 2011 I was on a 1.5Mbps DSL line.  I think the upload was .75.  It was horrible! We left on vacation for 10 days and I had it upload the whole time.  That helped but it still took several months to get everything uploaded.  If you do sign up for CP use the HSS link.  http://fave.co/2lG9L9N   That will help pay for my upload bill!

• Like 1

Hi Poppapete

I use the same, have been backing up Photos/Home videos and Documents to S3 for last 6 years. When Cloudberry introduced the archive option to move files into Glacier status after a set period of time I changed all my Photos/Videos to instant Glacier but left documents on S3 with a 90 day versioning enabled.

Have never needed to restore from Glacier or S3 storage (fortunately), curious as to how much data you needed to retrieve and how much it cost.

I've currently got around 120GB of data in Glacier spanning around 15 years of digital camera photos/videos and some older scanned slides / pictures. It only costs around £1.20 a month (£15 a year) to store these but I've often wondered what the cost would be to recover any of it!

I also back all photos up to Flickr and Google Photos as well as having iCloud enabled for the Apple devices which are the primary photo tool these days so I'm pretty well covered i think!!

Cheers

Matt

S3 was costing me between $30-$40 AUD per month for average 10-20GB of upload and just over 200GB of storage. Using Glacier has reduced the bill to $7 AUD per month. I retrieved just 1 file to test the process which did not noticeably change the bill that month. I have all important files in one drive with versioning to my 2012R2E server.  I also use veeam for a system bare metal backup to the server so the cloud backup is just the third part of a 3 part backup regime. I have tested Server2016 and it does work with cloudberry but I will not be moving from 2012 anytime soon as there are no advantages for me.

• Like 2