RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
phillai

HP Smart Array P222 Controller - What's the biggest hard drive for this?

phillai

I was about to buy 4 x 8TB WD Red's (for my HP MicroServer Gen 8) when my friend asked me to double check if my HP Smart Array P222 Controller can actually support this...

Does anyone know the answer for me please?

Edited by phillai

gibster

I was about to buy 4 x 8TB WD Red's (for my HP MicroServer Gen 8) when my friend asked me to double check if my HP Smart Array P222 Controller can actually support this...

Does anyone know the answer for me please?

As long as you have the latest firmware update the answer is yes :)

phillai

Thanks for the fast reply!

One last thing, what version is the last firmware update and where can I get it from?

gibster

Thanks for the fast reply!

One last thing, what version is the last firmware update and where can I get it from?

I'm running V6.68 on my P222 using 4 x 4TB WD Red internal, and 1 x 8TB WD Red in an external Sans Digital TR4X6G enclosure connected to the external P222 port.

As far as getting the firmware you'll need to try and find a copy of the iso for HP SPP 2016 which will update all the drivers in the system when the server is booted from it. Where you can get a copy of it I can't say, but do a google search if your HP warranty on your server has expired.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • TakiBot
      By TakiBot
      I've got my hands on a HP N40L.
      Can i use raid 1+0 on my 4 2TB WD RED or only 1 and 0.
      Thanks for the help.
    • tswalker
      By tswalker
      So, it has been a very long time since I've been able to contribute to this community...  but I creep in every so often

Some may know of this NAS that Western Digital offered back in 2012 called the DX4000.. flavors included storage up to 16TB and it ran Windows Server 2008 R2.  I made a few articles on my blog, showing how to convert it to use Windows Server 2012 R2 back then, and it had been running like a champ ever since, last month.  I decided to re-purpose it as a firewall, and began searching for alternatives to pfSense...  I naturally gravitated to OPNsense, and experimented with getting it to run on the metal.

It may seem strange to want to do this with a device built to be a storage server, but I've outgrow the storage... and it actually had decent adapters on-board (2x Intel 82574L), the form factor was small, and included redundant power supply capabilities.

To make it possible, there had been some advancements by the community on how to access the BIOS on the machine, found here on YT posted by Martin Meise.  A BIG "Thank You" to that guy for showing how to mod the PCB to include a serial converter.  I picked up a USB to TTL serial cable from Adafruit.com, soldered some extension wires to the PCB on the DX4000 (which currently stick out the side).. and had instant terminal bliss.  I can plug/un-plug the adapter when needed this way, just a note...  the RS on board will plug into the TX on the adapter, as does the TX onboard to the RS on the cable.. anyway.  works great.  (just a note, the PCB has what seemed like a polyurethane coating on the pads, and I had to dissolve/scrape it off to get the solder onto them)

The only setting on the BIOS that needed to be changed was to switch the controller from RAID mode to AHCI.. which allows you to use independent storage without the needed RAID setup.

I picked up one of those ICY DOCK 2.5" to 3.5" converters a while ago to use for this, and an in-expense Kingston 120GB SSD on Amazon for 20$USD.  It was a tight fit, but works great.

The difficult part in this setup was to get FreeBSD installed on this thing...  I tried dozens of times using the OPNSense ISO and serial versions to get it going, and gave up after while defeated.  I also tried other FW flavors like pfSense, and Sophos.. all failed to use the serial terminal to complete installations.  I gave IPFire a shot and actually got it working accidently after modifying the serial console to use TTYS1 instead of TTYS0.. and a light in my head got turned on...  it had that I.D.10.T message.

I went back and built a USB with OPNsense serial version image on it.. fired up a FreeBSD VM on my windows workstation.  note, the USB must be 'offline' in windows to use as an attached disk in hyper-v... just take it offline in disk manager, and add the usb as an iscsi disk in the vm settings.

* startup FreeBSD in the VM, logon as root and mount the device.  For me this ended up being device /DEV/DA1A   (mount /dev/da1a /mnt/usb )
      * cd to /mnt/usb/boot , you can copy the loader.conf file to loader.conf.local or just VI a new file called "loader.conf.local"  (it is important to have a local file so your changes are not auto-overwritten)
      * include the following into loader.conf.local:
      hw.uart.console="io:0x2f8,br:115200" bitmap_load="NO" comconsole_port="0x2f8" comconsole_speed="115200" console="comconsole" boot_serial="YES" ** it is important to note that after installation is complete, you may NEED to do this again and add a loader.conf.local file to the system to access the things via ttyS1

I was now able to use my usb to serial cable connected to my workstation to open PuTTy (mod the BIOS) and step through a serial installation of OPNsense...  it was defaulting to use ttyS0, instead of ttyS1 which is what is needed for this machine.

The only things I have NOT been able to manage getting to work are the fan speed controls, and my BackUps powersupply over USB for monitoring power.. other than those, this little thing has been solid.

So far, I've been able to get the LCD working great using LCDd... i get all the goodies i need being displayed... and I apologize that I have no pictures of my lovely PCB soldering nor of the LCD working.  I'll try to get some in the coming days, and post a new blog on my blugged.wordpress.com site.. but i've been super busy with a new software engineering position these past 9 months, and just don't get much free personal time anymore.

I hope someone has enjoyed this quick write-up!

-tswalker

• arefiev.dm
      By arefiev.dm
      Hello! I put P222 on my Gen8 server, but I can not use RAID6. Can someone share the key?
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Rachio has just announced version 3 of their popular sprinkler system controller.  Rachio's generation 2 hardware was such an improvement on their first controller it may be hard to top.  Gen 3 looks great and has new hardware to go with it.  First Look video below!

Rachio's approach to irrigation hardware has been pretty straightforward. 

Replace your existing irrigation controller, water smarter,  take advantage of mobile to control it. 

What they have done over the past 2 iterations is make it easier to do all three.  Generation 2's hardware simplified the install immensely and the Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller looks to do the same as well as  offering more options for the homeowner.  So how do you improve on an already great controller?

Increase the smarts with enhanced weather data
      Add a 5Ghz radio along with 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi
      Add long range communication for add on devices

Let's just jump to the new devices.  Rachio is announcing an add on flow meter called the Rachio Wireless Flow Meter.  It will sense water flow and shut down water supply if it detects a leak.

This is an interesting addition to the product because it moves Rachio from a true DIY product to on that may need help from a professional.  If you know your sprinkler system you know you have a back flow valve somewhere on your property.  It is usually above ground and the Flow Meter can install in-line, after the backflow valve.  Rachio has tips and guidance on the install if you would like to attempt it yourself but it may be prudent to involve your irrigation pro if you don't already have the tools to perform this type of work.

The "smarts" surrounding Rachio 3 cannot be overlooked.  Their new weather intelligence is impressive.  You can gain insight on weather data within a 36 foot radius of the Rachio 3 controller.  Thirty Six Feet!  

Rachio 3 ships April 2018 and can be pre-ordered today at http://www.rachio.com  Rachio Flow ships May 2018.  Pre-Sale pricing is $279 for the 8 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  $329 for the 16 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  Outdoor enclosures are still $29.

Flow Install Guidance - https://www.rachio.com/pdf/flow-install-overview_final.pdf