RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rich1983

Upgrade server or buy a different one?

rich1983

Hiya guys I figure there would be a better place for this (servers/general?) but couldn't find it...

Looking to upgrade my G8 MS. It's the basic model and to upgrade the ram and processor to something like 16gb and a 1220L V2 I'm looking at £2-300 which is probably going to be a second hand chip. Additionally, I've only had it three months so I'll loose warranty too...

This makes me wonder if I should buy a second hand server of some other sort - perhaps a Proliant or a Dell or what ever. It needs to be fairly quiet but that's not the most important thing in the world but power consumption is a consideration.

The ML110 (gen7) can be had for less than £400 sending hand but I wonder if the money is better spent on the G8 I already have?

Also, what other options are there? It's important to me that I have current kit as I am using this machine as a test server for doing my MS certs in Server and generally want to be current. I brought the G8 MS for this purpose as we used a ML350 G8 at work. As such it was in theory a great platform but to us it as a hypervisor I obviously need to beef it up to run a few VMs on it. Yes, I'll not run loads at once but I want the option to be able to run four as I figure this is what we did at work - Exchange, DC, DB server and another legacy system. As such I figure 16 GB of ram is enough so 4 MB for HV worse case, then 4gb for each VM and then give four HTs to use with the four VMs assuming the 1220 (am I right?) is used with two real cores x2 for virtual.

So I ended up going on a tangent on the last paragraph but can you see where I'm going and what I want to achieve?!

Help gratefully received.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

rich1983

also considered higher TDP chips but this would require modding / making some sort of fan set up which I've not done before. I think that it would be pointless too as the 16gb ram would then be the bottleneck, hence why I wonder if a different platform all together might be the best bet.

tezray

I would go for the Dell t20 if it is still on good cashback and keep the gen8 to back that up. You get xeon upto 32gb ram. Ok don't get iLO shame but can control noise and plenty of space for raid card later if you want more drives. I wanted one but couldn't afford it so making the most with the gen8 and it is now in the loft becuase of noise

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

rich1983

Hi Tezray thanks for the reply. Did you say your G8 is too noisy? Is the Dell much quieter? I'll iLO isn't a huge concern as I never really use it and Dell is the other big brand which I've come across so it's prob worth having some experience so thanks for the tip...

What's the best place to get the Dell in the UK?

PS if you are just storing the HP, did you want to let it go as I might be up for buying it if you are in the UK?

schoondoggy

It has been a long time since I owned one, but if I remember correctly the Dell T20 was fairly low noise. I think the T20 was replaced with the T30.

These three servers are very similar in design:

Dell T20/T30

Lenovo TS140

HP ML10 Gen9