RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

which and how esxi to gen8

pumo

I just bought gen8 for vmware testing.  I installed on ssd to slot 1 and on 1Tb hdd to slot2 (is this wrong configuration?)

I installed esxi 6.5 (not HP version) to ssd and it just wont boot to it. b120 is selected from bios not achi.

i was going to set hdd to datastore.

I tested yesterday and with 6.5 HP version of esxi  didnt find disk drives at all. 

i got it working with vanilla esxi by enabling sata legacy to default...

ok, I did new install with VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-OS-Release-4564106-HPE-650.9.6.0.28-Nov2016.iso to microsd card, and I set b120i raid enabled.

Installation went ok, however those disk in slot 0 and 1 didnt appear in installation. 

vmware got up and no disks available.

so this HP vmware image is useless...

ok, I did new install with VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-OS-Release-4564106-HPE-650.9.6.0.28-Nov2016.iso to microsd card, and I set b120i raid enabled.

Installation went ok, however those disk in slot 0 and 1 didnt appear in installation. 

vmware got up and no disks available.

so this HP vmware image is useless...

Use 6.0 not 6.5. Or 6.5 with hpvsa 5.0.88 driver

I installed official again (non-HP) esxi 6.5 and disks found and works.

maybe I will test 6.0 HP version...

Edited by pumo

You have done something wrong.

Or you havent configured any arrays.

Do that or just set the controller to AHCI since with your config (just one disk each) you dont need arrays anyway.

I did remove array and empty disks and now everythin works with raid1 on b120i and esxi 6.5 HP version and esx on microsd card.

I wonder is it possible install esxi to ssd on ODD sata connector and sametime use raid on B120i as datastore?

or is it a risk run esxi on microsd ?

Edited by pumo

I think it is possible. ODD SATA connector is also "connected" to B120i. You just need to make RAID0 volume from SSD. 

However running ESXi from SD card is fine. Log files ESXi store on HDD/SSD datastore, not on SD card. So there aren't lot of writes which would destroy SD.