RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MS G8 server second hand wanted

rich1983

Hi guys,

Looking for the above. I figure they are only a out £125 new after cash back so somone must have a bargain used one. Just want it for testing so if I bugger anything up I can fall back to spare!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

i think Trig0r may have one coming up shortly. but then again, as you said, £125 after cash back, why not just go new with warranty ?

Reason for considering second hand is simply because they are worth so little and I am so poor right now! I've got one set up at home at the moment and I can't take it off line to mess about with it as it drives the he network and most importantly to the wife and kids... Plex! I don't know much about virtualization etc and this is the direction I now want to go as well as set up some new stuff to try. I have three times changed the OS on my MS and it has caused problems each time which I'd rather not have a time limit to fix if that makes sense.

So just hoping really that someone has a surplus one they want to get rid of for cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

If you can find it for the 130 price, you should go with that.  new or used, I'm only seeing it for more than that. 

Otherwise, check ebay and the like. Reddit's /r/homelabsales may yield good results as well. 

I'm in favour of having pairs of systems for flexibility - probably why I have 4.

In your price range I'm wondering if an old Gen 7 machine would be better? These can go £50 and below.

I'd offer you one of my old machines but then I'd have a problem with buying a new Windows license.