RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Will those work together?(sorry, noob here)

Madski

Hi guys,

Please excuse my noobness but I'm only getting into servers and I'm still kinda lost in it all.

Short story short: Decided to use old unused quad-core PC as a server. Also, in a pile of some unused gear I got from someone I found an old blade server with two of these:

drive.jpg HP's 72.8GB 10000rpm Wide Ultra320 drives.

I have also found this:

atto.jpg which I managed to Identify as Atto ExpressPCI UL5D, Ultra320 SCSI host adapter

My question(or two) now is this - can those be used together? And if not, what drives should I buy to use with that adapter? Any simple explanation and/or links will be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what to look for.

Best regards,

Mads

Edited by Madski

They would probably work together as long as you have a SCSI cable with active termination. But, those drives are loud and hot and small capacity. What OS are you going to run? Chances are there may not be drivers for the latest OS's for the U320 card. Latest SATA would be a better choice.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

They are 10,000 RPM so latency would be low, but their arial density is not close to today's drives so their sustained throughput would be slow.

They would probably work together as long as you have a SCSI cable with active termination. But, those drives are loud and hot and small capacity. What OS are you going to run? Chances are there may not be drivers for the latest OS's for the U320 card. Latest SATA would be a better choice.

Thanks for the reply schoondoggy.

By latest SATA you mean any two modern SATA drives would be better? Even something bog-standard like WD Blue 7200rpm, or perhaps you'd recommend something else? I'm running 2008 R2 btw and I have drivers for that card, heat and noise isn't really of much concern because of where the server is located. I thought that maybe using that scsi gear would be of any advantage but if you're saying there's no point I guess I might as well throw it away.

lets say this is legacy kit now, however, as you have indicated, you are just tapping into servers, why not play with it, use it to set up you boot device, configure it, get the feel of how it was, then when you are ready to invest a bit more, upgrade, or if it does meet your needs, leave it running.

Thanks eddie, that was kind of my reason in trying to use it. I've never even held a scsi device device before haha, now I have a few bits that I thought I could use to learn a thing or two. Still not sure what sort of cabling would I need as I'm a bit puzzled by the different connectors:

drive (2).jpg - drive  card1.jpg card2.jpg - card.

Could you maybe help me out with this?

those drives would normally have been in a hotswap bay in a server on a back plane no doubt. the older ML series from HP is where i have seen them.

from memory, you can get cables that will change between adapters however, if you search ebay now for u320 scsi cable, regardless of the types, they are in the 20-30 quid range, gone of the days that we would have boxes of them lying around. SAS sent them out the door.

you could have a look in the blade chassis and see what cabling is inside and see if you can use anything. otherwise its worth someone with a good memory sourcing a cable that would fit the purpose for you. maybe some of the "old school" guys here would know from memory.

As Eddie563 has said, your drives are for a hot swap backplane. The drive connector is called SCA.

• Like 1

As Eddie563 has said, your drives are for a hot swap backplane. The drive connector is called SCA.

Old School ;)