RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Summary Performance Charts for Whole Home Wi-Fi Products by SNB

itGeeks

These test results from SNB are interesting. We can see from the charts that Orbi outperformed the competition in all four locations.

SNB throughput summary - downlink.jpg

SNB throughput summary - uplink.jpg

I tested Orbi here and those charts are right on. Its the fastest and strongest router I've tested. I am waiting for the Asus HiveSpot this spring to test as well. Then I will make a final decision on what to replace my router with.

The orbi does not let you backhual over Ethernet right? Strange omission - I just want a mesh with a single SSID and good handoff. Everyone saying"use access points" misses the fact your iPhone will stay connected to the originally one until zero signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Correct. Orbi has no Ethernet backhaul yet with its performance you won't even notice.

Just to add to what Jason said, Even if Orbi did support Ethernet backhaul that would give you a much slower link then the wireless backhaul because the wireless backhaul links @1.7GB and a single Ethernet port for backhaul would run @1GB, That said Netgear is looking into adding Ethernet backhaul for those that absolutely need it in cases where the wireless link wont work. Have a listen to the Q&A for this info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbHlvgx6q6Q&t=1883s

Now addressing your comment on Apple, Please don't get me started on Apple. Apple is a poster child for doing things in a none standard way and this is y so many manufactures of WAP's including Asus, Netgear, OM and others have problems with iOS devices and as such Apple owners will dog these other company's by saying there junk or whatever. The fault that iOS devices don't work well with 3rd party manufactures WAP's is the fault of Apple not the other way around. Did you also know even if you have the 2.4Ghz band set to 40MHz wide iOS devices refuse to use it instead defaulting to 20MHz and staying there cutting your bandwidth in half? My son in-law called me one day after someone told him about speedtest.net and asked me y his speed on his phone was so bad and this was behind an Asus wireless router, You know what I told him? Call Apple because all other none iOS devices in his family worked fine. I keep wishing that some governing body steps in and forces Apple to start adhering to of all things wireless standards.

• Like 1

Just to add to what Jason said, Even if Orbi did support Ethernet backhaul that would give you a much slower link then the wireless backhaul because the wireless backhaul links @1.7GB and a single Ethernet port for backhaul would run @1GB, That said Netgear is looking into adding Ethernet backhaul for those that absolutely need it in cases where the wireless link wont work. Have a listen to the Q&A for this info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbHlvgx6q6Q&t=1883s

steps in and forces Apple to start adhering to of all things wireless standards.

Yeah I just worry about the size of my place - it's 4 floors and rooftop and lots of concrete and metal.

Guess I can buy ans try - great link!

It's the only system that gives me real control (I want to assign static IP for my server 2012) but want a single SSD that works

It sounds to me like your going to have problems with any of these products that don't have 'Ethernet backhaul' You maybe better served with Eero. Outside of these new bread of whole home Wi-Fi products that you may also want to take a look out is 'Open Mesh' http://www.open-mesh.com/a60-grouped-cloud-managed-access-point.html

I have there MR-1750 and it worked very well, They now came out with the new A Series that I linked to. OM uses a cloud controller vs local controller like Ubiquiti UniFi. I tried an older model of UniFi some time ago and performance was really bad but word is there newer AC models are much better though I have not tested them. Have a look at the link below for a review by Lon Seidman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3nIwHzFIU

FYI If you decide to use either OM or UniFi you will need to provide a router becouse these products are WAP's only unlike the home products that include a router.

• Like 1

I tested Orbi here and those charts are right on. Its the fastest and strongest router I've tested. I am waiting for the Asus HiveSpot this spring to test as well. Then I will make a final decision on what to replace my router with.

As a big fan of Asus wireless routers over the years and having tested Orbi myself I was wondering when Asus was going to join the party. I was very excited when I saw your post about Asus HiveSpot but that excitement quickly came to an end after reading up on it, Let me explain below.

1) It seems HiveSpot uses the same hardware as the lowest performing Wi-Fi system Linksys Velop according to Cnet and though Asus may do a better job tuning there firmware I don't see HiveSpot performing anywhere near the top never mind stealing the top spot from Orbi, Based on this I see no need to what till spring to decide what to purchase. https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-hivespot-mesh-wi-fi-system/preview/

2) HiveSpot is AC2134 vs Orbi AC3000, One noticeable weak spot is HiveSpot only has a 867Mbps link from the nodes to the main unit aka router/hub vs Orbi link @1.7Gbps.

3) For those hoping for Ethernet backhaul I see no option for that either, Cnet only talked about the wireless backhaul. The good news is it has a dedicated 5GHz radio for this task so you wont loose 50% of your bandwidth sharing a radio with the clients like Eero, Luma and some others.

4) There is no talk about any advanced features like port forwarding, VPN, QOS so by the sound of it it looks like the limited feature set is more in-line with Google offering. That alone is a deal brake for me.

5) It looks like configuring Hive is only app based with no web browser configuration option, This would not be a deal brake for me but I do like a web browser option.

6) I am happy Asus has included real-time protection to safeguard agents malware & cyber threats and its free of charge, I wish Orbi and others would give us this much needed protection as well. 

It sounds to me like your going to have problems with any of these products that don't have 'Ethernet backhaul' You maybe better served with Eero. Outside of these new bread of whole home Wi-Fi products that you may also want to take a look out is 'Open Mesh' http://www.open-mesh.com/a60-grouped-cloud-managed-access-point.html

I have there MR-1750 and it worked very well, They now came out with the new A Series that I linked to. OM uses a cloud controller vs local controller like Ubiquiti UniFi. I tried an older model of UniFi some time ago and performance was really bad but word is there newer AC models are much better though I have not tested them. Have a look at the link below for a review by Lon Seidman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3nIwHzFIU

FYI If you decide to use either OM or UniFi you will need to provide a router becouse these products are WAP's only unlike the home products that include a router.

So essentially by lowing the RSSI to say 60 and having 4-5 nodes one should get seem less roaming as good as the ORBI?

My Asus 68 has RSSI - never knew it before I saw you video!!!

At this point is it better to go the whole way: do the edgeRouter and the ac lite access points? Reviews seem great and these reviews are from knowledgeable people. I want to cover 6500 square feet and have it work. All my critical stuff (server nvidia shield and Xbox ;) are Ethernet anyway