RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
SMOKESKULL

Zotac GTX 1050 rockin hard

SMOKESKULL

What an amazing upgrade. Doesnt require a 6 pin power supply connector or any additional power. Small form factor is a breeze to install. Setup was simple. Results are nothing short of amazing. I removed a ATI HD 5770 1GB DDR5 card and the benchmarks now are so much faster it makes me want to throw the 5770 in the trash. Doom 2016 went from totally unplayable to over 90 FPS in low detail. With the old card it was lucky to break 10 FPS. Honestly the detail level still looks great even on low settings. The ATI card didnt activate untill it got into Windows. The GTX shows the Dell boot logo immediatly. Fantastic upgrade. You can now easily game on your server if you should desire. 

SMOKESKULL

Just got back from vacation and will update this project. I was getting some severe lag at times but not consistent. I monitored the memory and cpu useage in tssk monitor and DOOM 2016 was sometimes hogging all the available memory which was still the original 4gb stick. I bought a 8gb stick of Corsair with fancy heat spreader. It uses the small chips and is rated at 1.5V. I was nervous plugging it in, but it booted just fine in the original ECC dimm slot. I shut it down and added the 4gb ECC stick and it booted no problem also. Windows reported 12gb and it was running in dual channel but the ram timings had dropped to the much slower ECC sticks. I ran futuremark benchmark with the single 8gb stick with faster timings and with both sticks at slower timings but in dual channel andvthe results were nearly identical. So its running perfect now with the extra ram. I suspect another 4gb would have been enough to cure yhe lag but of course they were out of stock when i needed some. I did manage to grt a good price on the Corsair as it rangbthrough the till at over 100 buvks. I took the cashier to the shelf i got it from and the price wss listed at 65 buck so he gave me yhe lower price. Its a pretty potent gaming rig for the money i spent.

JackoUK

Agreed ... my sentiment exactly when I bought a Radeon 7750 card a few years ago now:

- no extra power connector

- = low power consumption

- = quiet - no fan noise

- perfectly adequate performance for occasional giga-pixel image editing (with 6GB RAM in the PC)

Of course if you are editing 4K video ...

... then you need a more powerful card.

In the meantime ...