RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive balancing - why?

dvn

I've used Drive Balancer a few times, and it's worked as advertised. With it, I've been able to balance my drives to within 1% of each other. I've also used Drive Balancer to manually 'push' all data off of the system drive. That worked fine as well.

Now I'm wondering. Why am I doing this? Do I, or should I care how WHS manages data distribution on pooled drives? Doesn't it work the way it does for a reason? Does balancing data across the drives make any tangible difference in performance or integrity? What's the advantage of pushing data around our pooled drives? Is this one of those things that we do because we 'feel' it should be done?

Personally, I starting to suspect that this is one of those things that seem like a good idea, but one for which we have no valid justification. Anyone agree? Can someone convince me otherwise? Tell me why I should bother with this.

*Before you respond, I'll tell you up front. If the only reason for running Drive Balancer is so that all spinning drives will have some data on them, I don't consider that by itself a good enough reason.

Guest no-control

*Before you respond, I'll tell you up front. If the only reason for running Drive Balancer is so that all spinning drives will have some data on them, I don't consider that by itself a good enough reason.

You answered your own question. Ther is no valid real world reason to spread the data evenly across all drives.

Well, then. That's no-control and AJ saying there's no benefit to doing this. Anyone dispute it?

My opinion is worth what you paid for it ;-)

Yeah, this Drive Balancer is a true drive balancer that can have a proportiate amount of data distributed between your pooled drives. It's more or less useless unless you argue that if the data is balanced across your drives and if a drive fails, then you did not loose all the data off the drive that would have otherwise not been balance. But then, Folder Duplication is what you need here instead.

Not to be confused with Microsoft's storage balancing message in the Console when it's doing it's thing. There, the drive balancing is actually checking what shares have been marked for duplication and is making the copy on another physically different drive. Not actually doing "drive balancing"

Confused, I am :blink: (nuts)

It's more or less useless unless you argue that if the data is balanced across your drives and if a drive fails, then you did not loose all the data off the drive that would have otherwise not been balance.

That one works both ways. What happens that if the drive that fails only had 3% usage before you balanced it up to 40% :rolleyes:

That one works both ways. What happens that if the drive that fails only had 3% usage before you balanced it up to 40% :rolleyes:

It won't matter because (as we have all heard on previous podcasts) we must have a 2nd backup solution (cloud, IOSafe, etc.) for our critical data on our servers.