RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Huge Open Mesh Speed Improvement!

NNNM

Some test don't involve disk access, but all tests need a target of some variety. Lan Speed Test uses a PC on your network as a target for Read and Write tests. The write tests tend to be slow if you have a HD. SSD tends to alleviate the issue. I generally set up a RamDisk to take drive latency out of the issue.

Just to add to what schoondoggy said, Sometimes using a RamDisk can also be slower than an SSD as Dave posted about in his recent testing here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12098-speed-tests-of-eero-orbi-and-almond-3/#entry124716

Interesting results. I may need to revisit my OM setup again. However my biggest challenging was roaming and handoff. It wasn't seamless between APs no matter the placement or radio strength of my individual MR1750s. When I tried Netgear Orbi, I was surprised at just how seamless the roaming truly was without any user configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason when we talk about OM and Orbi or any other of the new 'whole home Wi-Fi systems' in the same post we are not comparing apples to apples, Its more like apples to oranges. These are very different products aimed at two different segments so the fact that Orbi has seamless hand-off out of the box does not surprise me, Systems like OM, Ubiq are not designed to be plug-N-play and as such need tuning. After watching a review by Lon about the UniFi AC Lite it seems they have a setting in the controller to set the 'Min RSSI' for clients to drop the connection and connect to a stronger AP, All this is done without having to lower the power setting so performance does not suffer. I think OM should include this in CloudTrax and it may solve your roaming trouble. Have a look below for the review and if you don't want to watch the hole thing then fast forward to 8:09 to see and hear Lon talk about it. Maybe you could submite a feature reqwest to OM and get this added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3nIwHzFIU

In simple terms I believe they way this works is when a client reaches the 'Min RSSI' you set it at then the AP disconnects the client and forces a reconnect to grab a stronger AP. Pretty slick thinking to have this setting by Ubiq.

so any measurement that involves a disk instead of a test service will also be measuring the disk, which seems counterproductive. convenient but not for perfectionists

That is why I use an SSD or Ram Disk so it is faster than the network. If you use a test service you are going out on the internet and that will be your limiting factor. If you are a perfectionist get a Fluke network analyzer.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Understood only the client controls the min RSSI it requires to maintain a connection, not the AP. Just updated my OM APs to the new 6.2 Beta 4 and even still Netgear Orbi performance is better for me. Still impressed.

But OM should steal much of this UniFi functionality for their CloudTrax app.

Edited by Jason

Understood only the client controls the min RSSI it requires to maintain a connection, not the AP. Just updated my OM APs to the new 6.2 Beta 4 and even still Netgear Orbi performance is better for me. Still impressed.

But OM should steal much of this UniFi functionality for their CloudTrax app.

There is probably little doubt that the Orbi is faster especially in a mesh configuration but given the progress they have made there is hope they will optimize it more.  As for the strange results on the lan test which seemed to be echoed by other tests I have seen, it was run on a samsung 512G 850 pro.  Given the benchmarks I get on that drive, I am doubtful it is the drive. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3nIwHzFIU

In simple terms I believe they way this works is when a client reaches the 'Min RSSI' you set it at then the AP disconnects the client and forces a reconnect to grab a stronger AP. Pretty slick thinking to have this setting by Ubiq.

Got this info over to OM Support. They've assured me this is functionality their engineering team already has on their roadmap. Promising news.

There is probably little doubt that the Orbi is faster especially in a mesh configuration but given the progress they have made there is hope they will optimize it more.  As for the strange results on the lan test which seemed to be echoed by other tests I have seen, it was run on a samsung 512G 850 pro.  Given the benchmarks I get on that drive, I am doubtful it is the drive. 

pcdoc, I have to agree with you. I took the liberty to call OM and to ask some questions about the speed we can expect from the MR1750 and the new A60, What they said was the MR1750 should get 250 down and 200-250 UP. The A60 should get 300 down and 200-250 UP.

OM did tell me to turn off 'data packet inspection' and 'application control' and turn on 802.11R currently in beta, Then test the speed.

Also when you tested this did you create a new group in Sophos and add the devices your using to for the LAN Speed test and turn off all the scanning?

I cant do any testing because I just moved into a new house from my temp apartment and have nothing setup yet, We are doing construction and pulling CAT6 drops everywhere then I have to setup the network room in the basement and it will probably be spring before I have everything setup again and can do some testing. Right now I am just using my FiOs wireless router for internet (ugh) Cant wait to get my stuff in place.

Got this info over to OM Support. They've assured me this is functionality their engineering team already has on their roadmap. Promising news.

I was also told that yesterday when I spoke to them. I sure do wish OM supported MU-MIMO and had a dedicated 3rd radio like Orbi for the backhaul. I really liked my OM MR1750, that was of course till I got a taste of Orbi, Its tough to go back. Orbi can handle up to 3GB in speed so it is future proof and with internet speeds already @1GB, That's a good thing.

I can't go back either. Though I do power on my MR1750s and upgrade them with each new firmware release. Haven't given up on them but the performance is Night and Day for me.