RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Huge Open Mesh Speed Improvement!

NNNM

OM answered question:

Hi Jason,

1) Aside from the different form factors, including two ethernet ports and a USB port on the A60, there shouldn't really be a difference performance-wise.

2) The A60 is not necessarily a replacement for, but more an alternative to the MR1750. They can be used for different deployments, and because of this we do not have any sort of trade in program for these units. If you are experiencing performance issues I would suggest having support take a look at your network and see if they can diagnose the issue. With MR1750s on the latest beta we have heard customers report speeds in excess of 250 Mbps (which of course is environment-dependent), so they certainly are capable of outperforming the Orbi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OM answered question:

Hi Jason,

1) Aside from the different form factors, including two ethernet ports and a USB port on the A60, there shouldn't really be a difference performance-wise.

2) The A60 is not necessarily a replacement for, but more an alternative to the MR1750. They can be used for different deployments, and because of this we do not have any sort of trade in program for these units. If you are experiencing performance issues I would suggest having support take a look at your network and see if they can diagnose the issue. With MR1750s on the latest beta we have heard customers report speeds in excess of 250 Mbps (which of course is environment-dependent), so they certainly are capable of outperforming the Orbi.

Spec wise it looked the same except for dual nics.  I was more interested in the universal mounting to possibly add better coverage to my backyard.  I have decided to pursue the speed issue with them more out of a challenge than a problem.  I am not getting anywhere near 250.  The though I might be missing something is gnawing at me and I now have a quest for more speed.  I will post what every I find out from them during this process.

pcdoc like you when I had my MR1750 setup I was not getting anything close to 250, That said I was happy with the performance and coverage till Netgear Orbi came to town. I would personally like to see some real test results of OM to confirm there claim, As far as I can tell no one here is seeing those speeds to date. I can tell you when I tested Orbi I went outside about 50' threw one wall and stayed connected to the 5GHz band and had great speed, I could of went even further as I was only at -67dBm. I would like to see OM do that. I agree with Jose, I don't know what Netgear is doing with the radios on Orbi but the performance is like no other I have ever tested.

The new design of the A Series looks good however I am disappointed they decided to keep it SU-MIMO and not MU-MIMO, I am further disappointed that they did not add a dedicated 3 radio for wireless backhaul. I am very interested if OM gets your speed sorted and how they did it.

Update: I further want to add that the OM-MR1750 and the new A series is the same price as a single Netgear Orbi so I feel OM is a bit over priced controller aside, For me I will give up the cloud controller in favor of performance. Just my 2 cents. My daughters new house is currently under construction so I am pulling CAT6 lines every place so if OM can sort out the performance problem in time I may consider installing the new A series, Till then my money will stay with Orbi.

Sorry it has taken so long to respond.  Time gets away from me.  I have discovered most of my speed issues (DPI setting) and things have improved substantially running 6.2.7.  Attached are the benchmarks from IOS (iPhone 6+), Samsung laptop, and LAN speed test using the laptop.  Still experimenting but this is what I got so far.  More that pleased with the speed write now and I am sure things will continue to improve.

V2WPXP.png

JbAe3A.jpg

QIIBXb.jpg

The read speeds look good, Just wondering y the write speed seem to be suffering? Does the laptop have a SSD on SATA3 interface?

Have a look at the test results that Dave just did and you will quickly see y I am concerned with your write results. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12098-speed-tests-of-eero-orbi-and-almond-3/#entry124704

The read speeds look good, Just wondering y the write speed seem to be suffering? Does the laptop have a SSD on SATA3 interface?

Have a look at the test results that Dave just did and you will quickly see y I am concerned with your write results. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12098-speed-tests-of-eero-orbi-and-almond-3/#entry124704

Can you post yours for comparison?

I can see involving the disk in a network test as a source of 'random' data, but why would the incoming data need to be saved to disk? it seems like one could have a disk-less network test, generate random data by cpu and pump it out....likewise absorb random data (or if one is checking for integrity both ends could share a prng seed....)

Interesting results. I may need to revisit my OM setup again. However my biggest challenging was roaming and handoff. It wasn't seamless between APs no matter the placement or radio strength of my individual MR1750s. When I tried Netgear Orbi, I was surprised at just how seamless the roaming truly was without any user configuration.

I can see involving the disk in a network test as a source of 'random' data, but why would the incoming data need to be saved to disk? it seems like one could have a disk-less network test, generate random data by cpu and pump it out....likewise absorb random data (or if one is checking for integrity both ends could share a prng seed....)

Some test don't involve disk access, but all tests need a target of some variety. Lan Speed Test uses a PC on your network as a target for Read and Write tests. The write tests tend to be slow if you have a HD. SSD tends to alleviate the issue. I generally set up a RamDisk to take drive latency out of the issue.

so any measurement that involves a disk instead of a test service will also be measuring the disk, which seems counterproductive. convenient but not for perfectionists