RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Huge Open Mesh Speed Improvement!

NNNM

Test using a 250MB file and as far as what to expect please have a look at post #42 here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11580-netgear-orbi-mesh-wifi-reviews/page-3

The numbers in that post would be the numbers to meet or beat at this point. Jose has done lots of testing and Orbi is the top performer as of his testing.

Pcdoc, how many OM APs are you running and do you have band steering, 802.11r fast roaming or both bands enabled on each SSID? Also what radio signal strength are you set at? I've found varying disabling 802.11r and varying my radio mW output to have the most significant impact on coverage and throughout with my 3 MR1750s. Have even tried starting with a single AP and gradually adding the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two but they are on separate networks.  As my network has two independent segments, I use one OM on each.  I did run a third as a mesh for a short time but found I did not need so I keep it as a spare.  I do use band steering which seems to work great.  One day I will go back and experiment with mesh just for the experience.

I should add that I also have 4 Nest Cams recording 1080p video on my wireless network. I'm still seeing 290 Mbps.

i-4DvsJgS.jpg

Now I am impressed.  Time to go on a mission to catch up.

I have 3 wired MR1750s, 1 wired OM5P-AC, and 1 wireless OM5P-AC. Including my garage (which has the wired OM5P-AC installed in it) I have about 4,800 square feet. Much of the house has sheetrock construction, but a sizable area has plastered walls with chicken wire underneath. I'm pretty sure that I am always connected to the 5GHz band.

Can you list your settings.  Output, channels, etc.

• Like 1

Here are my results. Not sure why there's such a big difference between the read and write speeds. Thoughts anyone?

i-jwLhWD7.jpg

Good question.  It may have something to do with existing traffic on your WiFi.  I will run the same test tonight to see if I get the same variation though my speeds will not be as good (at least for now... :) )

Here are my results. Not sure why there's such a big difference between the read and write speeds. Thoughts anyone?

i-jwLhWD7.jpg

Interesting, What kind of hard drive is in you desktop computer? If you have enough RAM in the desktop computer then create a RAM Disk and retest, This will eliminate any bad I/O performance that you could be getting from the hard disk.

How to create a RAM Disk http://www.pcworld.com/article/260918/how_to_supercharge_your_pc_with_a_ram_disk.html

Thanks for the info. Your hard drive should not be the bottleneck then but the only way to tell if its performing well is to run a benchmark utilitiy on it, I use ATTO Disk benchmark for this task but its Windows only so I did a bit if digging and found one that seems to be a good alternative to ATTO that runs on OSX found here http://www.speedtools2.com/QuickBench.html

Run it and make sure the read/write performance is good. Also the target that you used for the LAN Speed Test was that wired or wireless? Its best to have the target hard wired to your LAN over wireless.

How does the A60 differ from the MR1750? They both support dual band and MIMO. Are same price. Appears the A60 has a more rugged indoor/outdoor enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk