RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is PowerChute worth installing?

Rod at home

I had to replace one of the UPS's I have on one of my desktop PCs. It is the lowest end APC that I could buy at Sam's Club. I've got it connected to the PC using the USB cable that came with it. That is enough, I believe, to let Windows 10 know what the UPS is doing.

APC has their own software for monitoring the UPS. Its called PowerChute. Is it worth using or not?

Good question. Powerchute is designed to gracefully shutdown a system per your settings when a power outage is sensed. I think Windows just views it as a battery like a laptop or a tablet. I have not looked at the Win 10 power settings to see if there are any rules about shut down if x% battery is left.

Hi schoondoggy, thanks for your response. I just got into Windows 10 battery saver settings and it does say something about going into battery saver mode if Windows detects it going below such-and-such a setting. Would that be enough?

Perhaps Powerchute has evolved but I typically connected the UPS via USB and strictly used the Windows battery power settings for critical battery to shutdown gracefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some such ups software has added abilities beyond triggering the shutdown like logging of power hits, noting the age of the battery, allowing a manual self-test etc.

• Like 2

That is good to know, nrf. Back when I was I guess you'd call it an "accidental system admin", I remember having some Windows servers with some sophisticated UPS's that we'd purchased. Their software had the ability to test humidity and temperature in the server room. Honestly, that was nice. I don't know if PowerChute has that kind of functionality or not, but perhaps its got a few bells and whistles.

Perhaps Powerchute has evolved but I typically connected the UPS via USB and strictly used the Windows battery power settings for critical battery to shutdown gracefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In power settings, I see where you can set when to go to sleep when on battery, but I don't see any option for shutdown. Can you post a screen shot?

Using PowerChute Personal on the family PC at home.

It shows you a tad bit more information like line voltage, battery charge %, load utilization, historical info about when the last brownout and blackout occurred, some information about your PC's carbon footprint, ability to reset the date when the battery was replaced, initiate a self-test, among others..... Pretty much all the information any geek needs to know.

• Like 1