RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fan at 7-11% with 1 drive, 50-70% with 2 or more in the bays.

RetromanIE

So I just got my Gen8 server in the last few days. I've got it patched and running the latest iLO from Oct 2016(2.5), all windows updates installed and everything is stock(no add in cards etc)

I've got it running Windows Server 2012 R2 on the first drive of the 4 bays(single SSD disk RAID 0 setup) and it runs fine like this, very silent. When I add in another 2 drives and set them up as a RAID 0 or RAID 1 and boot into Windows its the same silence for about 1 or 3 mins, then the fans creep up to 50-70% speed, its quite loud.

I plan to run the main OS from an SSD connected to the ODD SATA, but am waiting on a power cable for that.

I'm aware of potential FAN issues if you add a new RAID controller card in, but haven't come across this issue yet on the forums. 

Can anyone point me in the right direct to solving this, or explain why its happening so i can maybe work to resolve it.

Thanks

Is it an issue ? could it just be that the system is hot and the fans are picking up to disperse the heat.

what are your temperatures ?

Is it an issue ? could it just be that the system is hot and the fans are picking up to disperse the heat.

what are your temperatures ?

Well nothing really crazy in there temp wise and more or less the same with or without the extra 2 drives.

tyutg4J.jpg

Hmm, I removed the 2 drives again to post the temps here. But when I remove them the "04-HD MAx" sensor comes up as not installed and the fans are nice and quite.

So, bad/non compatible disks maybe? They are just a couple of 2.5" laptop sata 3Gbps drives i used. I have a load of them so was just testing with them while i wait for the large drives to arrive that i will actually be using.

0BYxgDt.jpg

Swapped in a more modern 1TB drive and it seems fine now. Temp is reporting 30-35c now and fans running at 6%.

Should be fine with the drives I plan to install in later this month as they are 6TB NAS disks.