RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Poor raid performance with Windows 10 Pro

bungz

Hey guys

I recently purchased a base spec Gen 8 so I could get rid of a large server and have something that will sit on my shelf instead.

I am a WHS 2011 user and cannot fault it but as it is a bit long in the tooth and with no word on any other WHS being released I thought for my very simple needs W10 would fit the bill.

The build started out with a W7 install on a single SSD configured in Raid 0 on the ODD port. Used the latest Windows 2012 raid drivers, worked perfectly speeds are fine.

Upgraded from W7 to W10 Pro and then added my existing 2 Raid 1 arrays.

HP server picked up on the arrays and all was happy, recreated my shares and tested the speeds on my GB network.

Previously on my old server with a awful Dell Prec H200 I could top out the network at 100mb/s easy.

With this set up my shares float around the 60mb/s but the strange thing is the speeds stop every 5 or 6 seconds, then pick up again after a similar amount of time. 

I took the drives out of the array and the strange things is the drives keep this behavior in another machine till they are wiped again :blink: 

I have spent alot of time wiping drives setting up nice clean arrays in the Gen8 for it to do this every single time, its wasted most of my weekend  <_< 

Has anyone any ideas?

My only thinking is to try change the W10 raid driver, has anyone got any recomendations? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Have had more or a play with this.

Deleted the arrays (again) and built them up as single drive raid 0's.

In windows 10 I then used storage spaces to make a single mirror.

Same performance issues!

Wiped the lot and rolled back to a stock W7 install using the latest 2008 64bit raid driver, same thing.

I only want to create a simple mirror with this and I don't see why the onboard controller cannot provide decent read and write speeds in this config?

What am I doing wrong?

In Windows 10, are you using the Windows Server 2012R2 drivers?

Did you try the Server 2016 drivers?

Windows desktop OS's are not supported on the MS so it is a bit of hit and miss to see what works.