RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win10 Pro to Server2016

evakq8r

Hi all,

Bit of an odd/noob question, but is it possible to upgrade the server from Windows 10 Pro to Windows Server 2016 and migrate the Storage Spaces over?

I only had Windows 10 installed as (as of getting this server ~4 years ago) I didn't have all that much server knowledge so got lazy and installed Win10.

I recently added a Xeon E3-1265L v2 (as of yesterday) to my Gen 8 server, and now want to turn it into an actual server.

I suspect it may not be possible as the server is in AHCI mode to boot Win10 (won't work with IDE or RAID, just boot loops), but I can't find any documentation anywhere on whether this is possible.

Thanks.

Probably? 

But you should be able to reinstall and then just import the Storage Space, IIRC.

However, just keep in mind, a majority if what you can do on Windows Server, you *can* do on Windows 10. 

The exceptions are Active Directory, some server stuff (DNS/DHCP/WDS/WSUS), and some functionality in HyperV.

Otherwise, you should be fine using Windows 10.

Thanks for the reply Drashna.

I had intended to reformat for IIS and DNS purposes (IIS is included in Win10, DNS isn't). I can probably find a way around that though; at least now I know it's possible.

Thanks again.

Edited by evakq8r

Well, as you've pointed out, IIS is on Windows 10 Pro. :)

But yeah, no real viable option for DNS. 

You cannot upgrade a Windows 10 installation to Server 2016, no matter what the editions are. But, as many already have stated, many features does exist in Windows 10 pro.

/A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of replies; have been unwell the last week or so.

There is, BIND, the most popular DNS server.
http://www.isc.org/downloads/

Thanks audioeng, I'll look into that.

You cannot upgrade a Windows 10 installation to Server 2016, no matter what the editions are. But, as many already have stated, many features does exist in Windows 10 pro.

/A

I knew it wouldn't be a straight upgrade from Win10 to Win2016, my only concern was the Storage Spaces ability to transfer. As it turns out, there were no issues (Win2016 picked up the disks as an offline pool. Turn them online, and viola).

And I am sure you have a backup of the data in your Storage Spaces in case something goes sideways if you try the upgrade.

Indeed I do; learnt the hard way on upgrading something before backing data up... never again.