RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problem with installation of Windows Server 2012 R2

Conficker

Hello guys,

I also bought the HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8, but I have a problem with installation of the Windows Server 2012 R2. When I can install the Windows Server 2012 R2 via HP Intelligent Provisioning to a 2,5" HDD which is conected to SATA ODD port, via HP Smart Array B120i RAID Controller, then installation failed with message "Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms." I was looking for some help via Google, but I didn't find any functional solution. So I tried install OS direct from bootable USB drive, but I have other problem. During installation, when I have to choose HDD for installation, I see only HDDs which is connected in dedicated RAID controller Adaptec 6405 in PCIe port. I don't see my 2,5" HDD conected to HP Smart Array B120i RAID Controller. Of course on 2,5" HDD I created RAID 0 via HP Smart Array.

Please, can somebody help me? I welcome every help.

Thanks, best regards

Adam

You need to have the B120i driver in a USB stick for server to load.

Thanks, you mean only copy a driver to USB stick or integrate to iso file?

Edited by Conficker

Thanks a lot! The driver must be in USB stick and loaded during installation. Now I finished installation of the Windows Server!

• 1 month later...

Maybe a bit late now, but why not first install VMware vSphere hypervisor (free for single socket machines, HP have a downloadable image including all HP drivers), and install Windows on top of the hypervisor? It's a great combination, and even for a single operating system sitting on top there are lots of advantages. The machine has more than enough power to do so.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/solutions.html?compURI=1499005#tab=TAB4

Maybe a bit late now, but why not first install VMware vSphere hypervisor (free for single socket machines, HP have a downloadable image including all HP drivers), and install Windows on top of the hypervisor? It's a great combination, and even for a single operating system sitting on top there are lots of advantages. The machine has more than enough power to do so.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/solutions.html?compURI=1499005#tab=TAB4

What benefit would running Windows in a VM provide, over doing a 'native' installation?

What benefit would running Windows in a VM provide, over doing a 'native' installation?

H tangcla

There are loads of advantages, here's a random list:

- Drivers - you only need VMware tools to be installed in your OS, which takes care of all the drivers the OS needs. The HP vSphere ISO takes care of the hardware drivers, and upgrades are easy.

- Move or duplicate: it is easy to move your virtual server to a new home when you change hardware, or duplicate the server for testing purposes.

- Snapshots - to easily recover the server in the event of critical problems occurring.

- Resize virtual disks - easy to increase capacity of a disk if you reach limits, can be done online without affecting the operation of the server.

- Add virtual disks, again, online, no down time.

- Remote console: No iLO needed to access the boot messages, or to get a failing remote access to work again (happened to me more than once on 2008R2).

- vSphere web based client or thick client provide loads of useful information on the performance and capacity.

- Possible to install multiple virtual servers alongside for diverse reasons - I am running 4 VMs at the moment, including my Windows Server 2012 Essentials as a home file server. One other as a Minecraft server for the children... :-)

- Ubuntu Server now installs the VMware tools by default - no more manual installation to be performed. Child's play.

I work a lot with VMware and Hyper V professionally, and VMware the best and most reliable hypervisor available hands down. And for a single socket system like the MicroServer its free for life!

Here's  screenshot of the main web page of the hypervisor:

vmware-esxi.png

Cheers

Jaap

Edited by Hollinch
  • Like 2