RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Reset 14 - Wifi

dalem

Another great podcast!  I agree with a lot of what was said.  I am getting by with my Netgear N600 WNDR3400 V3 in AP mode.  It is many years old but still works.  I found a place where I get decent coverage.  I  would like better coverage and speed.  I probably just need a single AP that has better range.  Just because I am technology geek.  I really want a wifi mesh system.  I think the price is a bit too steep for a 3 piece system.  Wifi in my house is secondary to ethernet.  We have three smart phones, 1 tablet and one laptop.  Streaming audio (via internet) and streaming video via Plex server I built is all the wifi is used for.  Most of that is from two of the phones and the one tablet.

I am just on the fence so to speak.  I would like faster speed for transferring files.  A Nighhawk R7000 would probably suit me well.

• Like 1

If I were to get a mesh system.  It would have to remain fully functional as an AP.  I don't want to replace my router.  Each AP would need to support an Ethernet back haul.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great podcast!  I agree with a lot of what was said.  I am getting by with my Netgear N600 WNDR3400 V3 in AP mode.  It is many years old but still works.  I found a place where I get decent coverage.  I  would like better coverage and speed.  I probably just need a single AP that has better range.  Just because I am technology geek.  I really want a wifi mesh system.  I think the price is a bit too steep for a 3 piece system.  Wifi in my house is secondary to ethernet.  We have three smart phones, 1 tablet and one laptop.  Streaming audio (via internet) and streaming video via Plex server I built is all the wifi is used for.  Most of that is from two of the phones and the one tablet.

I am just on the fence so to speak.  I would like faster speed for transferring files.  A Nighhawk R7000 would probably suit me well.

How many sqft is your house and what type of construction is used?

How many sqft is your house and what type of construction is used?

It is about 1500.  The construction is interesting to say the least.  The house is about 124 years old.  It has been updated over the years.

Orbi sure worked good in AP mode!

That is one of the ones I was looking at.

Thanks for the info. If you have Ethernet to the center of your house I would purchase a single Orbi 229.00 and try it, If it does not cover well then return it and purchase the 2 pack and retest. Netgear claims each unit will cover 2000 sqft. I was personally blown away by the performance of Orbi when I tested it back in November.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. If you have Ethernet to the center of your house I would purchase a single Orbi 229.00 and try it, If it does not cover well then return it and purchase the 2 pack and retest. Netgear claims each unit will cover 2000 sqft. I was personally blown away by the performance of Orbi when I tested it back in November.

Yes I do.  That is where my Netgear N600 is right now.  Cool! Thanks.

Your welcome, I totally agree with Jose on the subject of what Netgear is doing with the radios in Orbi because the range and performance is outstanding. Please report back after you try Orbi and let us know how it works for you.