RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Red flashing light and wont start after trying to install a graphics card

alfcapone

Hi, I've recently set up my gen8 running windows 7 and installed 2 4tb wd reds in raid 1. All was working fine until I tried to install a msi gt710 graphics card so I could have a hdmi output.I disconnected all the internal leads attached to the slide out tray at the bottom and fitted the graphics card and once id put it all back together it wont turn on. I'm new to this and had to figure it out as I went along. I removed the card and still wont power up just get the flashing red light on the front. Hoping I haven't killed it :(.

Got to be one of the cable connectors take the board out and check the pins are not bent then put them in gently again. I doubt the card completely killed it

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hi, yes your correct after a few more goes it finally started up ok so im guessing I hadn't got one of the connectors pushed on far enough. I was hoping to run it as a media pc/nas but the 1080p playback doesn't seem as smooth as I was hoping. Does anyone know if that's normal? Appreciate the help as im still trying to figure all this out. Thanks.

Are you running windows 7? Maybe I need to change the settings somewhere?  Im using vlc and on my laptop its plays perfect but on my gen8 it plays ok but with a slight stutter at certain points. My first go with a microserver so big learning curve. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Windows 2012 R2, but I don't see why there should be any difference. Standard settings for the video, nothing changed from what I can remember - it was about a year ago, I no longer have a video card in the Microserver.

• Like 1

I've just been reading and sounds like it might be using the intergrated graphics rather than using the gt 710. Im going to be running plex or kodi once ive got it all working, so hopefully there will be a way to change the settings to use the gt 710 instead.

You can change the graphics card order in the bios with f9 but I think I have mine set to integrated then external can't remember but I think I left it as that because when I removed my hd 5450 it wouldn't show a screen was a long time ago though. I used mine on my front room TV with kodi and never had a problem plus my graphics card not nearly as good as yours. I did upgrade to an i3 3240 which gave it a huge boost quite a shocking one but if you go that route to upgrade cpu pickup a xeon or i5 cpu so you can use esxi in future with pass through. My gen8 got too noisy for my front room so has been relegated to esxi for other things.

• Like 1

Thanks, I've had a look in the bios but cant seem to find where to change it. Anyone have any idea where it is? And id love to upgrade my cpu but ill have to save up for that!

In the bios got to Advanced Options, then video options. I am set to optional video primary, embedded video disabled. The other two have the on board graphics showing in device manager otherwise but nearly 2 years ago I seem to remember the server maybe not showing display without the graphics card in I probably wouldn't test that but just make sure you have a graphics card they will fit to change it back one day.

• Like 1