RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Controllers P222 & P410 - How many arrays?

tofflock

Hi

I have an HP G8 microserver to which I want to add as much storage as possible :)

I have schoondoggy's brackets, and some disks; I just need to find a suitable controller.

The internal B120i controller allows one to create four single-disk Raid0 arrays so one can get a JBOD from four disks connected to it.

I've tried a couple of P410 controllers that I have, but they won't let you create more than two arrays.  That's fine if one wants RAID5, but I want (ideally) eight (if I can get them in, physically) separate disks (JBOD). (For storage organisation, I'm thinking of using ZFS, but that's downstream until I get the controller sorted).

I've been looking at the P222 and P420 controllers, both of which will fit in the chassis.  I understand the difference between them in terms of cache memory, on-board processor, and internal vs external sockets.

What I've totally failed to find out is whether one cannot create eight single-disk RAID0 arrays on each card.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible please?

TIA

Peter

If you are looking for JBOD I would recommend using LSI or Marvell based cards. You could run the four bays on a add in card and set the on-board controller to AHCI instead of B120i to use it for more drives.

• 2 months later...