RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N36L: Rear fan error / Won't start

pushpull

Hi guys, I've had a N36L standing around idle for a couple of years and recently sold it to a friend for a cheap price. Not sure if he did anything to f**k it up, but regardless it's currently not starting up. Gives a "fan error" alert during startup in BIOS then shuts down. It's obviously the rear fan since it stopped spinning in the same period of time.

I tried connecting another 120mm fan just to see but nothing happened, then I read somewhere a particular fan was needed (with different cabling inside? Not sure). Anyway, for his usage I think the box will most certainly do the trick and I would like to fix this. Would be a shame to let the box die out just because of a fan.

So if it's accurate that I need a particular fan for the box, where can I get it? Been searching around ebay with no luck. All help appreciated.

In advance, thank you.

yeah, HP uses a different sheme for the cabling, check this thread out:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8668-n54l-microserver-rear-fan-replacement-guide/

(Post #2 is the one for the connectors layout)

(you can use quiet every 120mm-fan while changing the layout, or you can use an extension-cable where you swith the layout for the plug, so you can connect every fan without changing on the fan directly...)

Not sure where you are based but I've got an old N40L thats got a dead board, I'm selling off my other servers and the bits from this dead one if you need a fan...