RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CAT6 quality question- Which to use

donschmidt

This discussion has definitely caused me to add substantially to what I'd like to install now and prepare for.  PoE access point are now on the list and, since I have 2 small children, cameras are an excellent idea.  I utilize a Nest cam as a monitor in my current house, but installing cameras around the house would be great.  Are there recommended PoE models?

Agree with Drashna, Amcrest.  Great price/performance.  Have many of them at home both PoE and Wifi and really like them.

• Like 1

When I bit my house, I went with having the electrician place boxes where I wanted them and they ran the cables.  I took care of all the terminations.  Also a suggestion if you have a basement or the house is multi-story, have them put in a conduit from basement to attic.  This will make it easier to add new cables later if needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party here, but I would say go 6A its future proof for the foreseeable future. A quality manufacturer is a must in Australia I would recommend AFC/Krone overseas I do not know. CAT 7 uses TERA jacks which are not really suitable for use in a home situation 

the only thing one can count on is whatever standard one deploys will be insufficient too quickly. in reviewing the standards, I was not impressed with how far the 10g or 40g could travel on these, does fiber fit in at some point for higher speeds?

Fibre is really only useful to connect interconnect devices.

6 is capable of 10GBE of about 50m but it is not really meant to, and not mentioned in the standards. 6A is specifically for 10GBE and is capable for it on 100m which is all the length you are allowed for Gigabit on 6, 5e is only Gigabit for 30m. Also I must state that although I say 100m that is just convention, last I read the standards its actually 99m, and this is specifically broken down into categories, such as 2m patch cables at each end, 95m in the wall or something like that

Apart from large enterprise 40GBE is not really needed, even 10GBE is not used to its full capability these days in the environments I have seen it in (it is used in bursts, not consistently though) and is normally put in to allow for more than 1GBE and is used in LACP to aggregate two links but more for redundancy than anything else. the 40GBE and alike i have seen more in storage environments providing the VM's for the front end Hypervisors

Fibre whilst it is good, it has its shortfalls. One thing is no PoE, how do I get power to my WAP, Phone or other device

So for a new build it seems like conduit is a good means to allow future upgrades. To me, it seems like 6 has little advantage over 5e. The difference in twist between pairs seems like it might help though, 

on the other hand I don't envision 10gig ethernet in my home in my lifetime :)

Edited by nrf

So for a new build it seems like conduit is a good means to allow future upgrades. To me, it seems like 6 has little advantage over 5e. The difference in twist between pairs seems like it might help though, 

on the other hand I don't envision 10gig ethernet in my home in my lifetime :)

As I said, 5e is not gigabit verified to the full 100m of the run, it is only certified for 30m. Conduit is always the best idea, and always put in larger than you think you will need. pull the cable but also leave several stringers in the conduit