RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CAT6 quality question- Which to use

donschmidt

Good morning.  I've just  purchased a home still under construction and plan to have CAT6 installed throughout the living areas. I'm hoping that someone can advise me as to the specific quality/specs of cable that I should use.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

You should be looking at Shielded Twisted Pair, IMO, just to cut down any interference.  There are tons on videos on YouTube showing various means for running cabling and even doing it yourself.  As far as buying the cable itself, Monoprice.com will usually have some good pricing.  http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12733

I think the mistake people make is not planning for the future and not installing enough drops.  Get a structure wiring cabinet and terminate all the connections neat and clean.  Depending on the house size, you can probably run all the cable is one weekend and save a ton on installations costs.

The next project will be to get good networking components.

I would use CAT6a or CAT7 to support 10Gb. Cost may be prohibited to run everywhere but I would run it to media areas. Have you determined what your wifi system will be? If you are going with traditional access points this would be a great time to run Ethernet cable for ceiling or wall mounts.

• Like 1

You can never run enough.  Last house I built I pulled cable to two different walls in each room.  You just never know where the desk or table will be in some rooms.  Some are dictated by the door and window.  Pull a 6, a 5e, and a coax to each wall. Multiple to the living room, basement areas, etc.  Think about these new Wi-Fi mesh systems that can use Ethernet backhaul.  Where would they work best in your house?

I also still recommend pulling speaker cable even if you don't plan on "whole home audio" system.  You can still pull speaker wire from entertainment/TV cabinet area to places where rear and 7.1 speakers might go.  If you can, pull speaker cable and a CAT5e to a central location and also think about volume controllers.  

A lot to think about.

• Like 1

I haven't yet determined wifi, but love the idea of ceiling/wall mounts since my home will be going from 1900 to 3200 square feet that need coverage.  Up until now I've only needed a Linksys wrt1900 acs.  It seems that many folks here like Ubiquiti products.  Would that be your suggestion as well?

Definitely lots to consider.  I have to see what the builder will allow me to do on my own while the walls are still open.  I may hit resistance since he has his own electrician.

That is a wall you may hit.  Some already have that step paid for.  I for one had to go in and pull their cheap plates out and put in my own.  Ask you builder if you can provide "sweat equity" towards your new home.  You just want to add additional cabling that doesn't carry any power over it. Most of them understand but it definitely depends on when the drywall crew starts.  You can't hold that up and the builder will tell you that a couple dozen times!

The ceiling mounts are great and you could certainly wire for that.  There have been more units released that power via the wall and sit out in the room though.  Think Eero and Orbi.  You could wire for both if you want to.  In the big picture CAT5e is relatively inexpensive for the amount of bandwidth it carries.  Don't get hung up on 6 and 7 if the costs are a concern.  You can always run both.

While talking about this,  think about "PoE" devices.  

Do you want to run IP cameras throughout the house?

What about repeaters/access points? 

These will require a cable and power to each.  But PoE (Power over Ethernet) allows you to just run a data cable to the location, if you've connected it to a PoE injector or switch.  

And I'll second the CAT 6A or CAT 7.  Best to future proof. 

• Like 1

This discussion has definitely caused me to add substantially to what I'd like to install now and prepare for.  PoE access point are now on the list and, since I have 2 small children, cameras are an excellent idea.  I utilize a Nest cam as a monitor in my current house, but installing cameras around the house would be great.  Are there recommended PoE models?