RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
igneous

home server/plex for parents

igneous

I got one of these T20 servers with the xeon for my parents house. I mainly want it to be a home server for their files, and as a plex server. It only has 4gb of ram and 1 tb hdd at the moment, but that will be upgraded a bit once everything is up and running. 
It will probably only be serving one plex movie at a time, and I'm looking for something that will be accessible on the network for both pcs and macs. Since I'm not looking for it to do all that much I probably want to run some type of OS that isn't very resource intensive, any suggestions? I'd prefer not to spend a ton of time configuring this either. The only other thing I would like to be able to do is to access it remotely, so I could send media content to it for my parents to access via plex. 
Thanks!

cskenney

For what you have described I would have bought a QNAP or Synology NAS. 

igneous

it was an option but this was cheaper and has more power if I want to throw more at it :) theres no question that would have been a much simpler way to go though  :o

Andne

I'd look at the NAS distributions like FreeNAS, OpenFiler, OpenMediaVault, etc...  I think they're all supposed to be pretty comparable for file serving, my guess is that the biggest impact on which one works is going to be Plex.  I think some may support mirroring to a second device elsewhere or backing up to a remote location.

I would definitely look at upgrading the hard drives, personally I'd use something for the OS and then pair that 1TB with a second for data.  Or use the 1TB for OS/Apps and pair a couple larger drives for data, depending on what you have around.