RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
brothercannon

Help! EX470 appears to be dead

brothercannon

I took the dogs out for a walk today and when I got back to the house I heard a high pitch whine. I quickly located the source of the noise, it was my ups hooked up to EX470. I turned it off and the alarm sound stopped. Turned it back on and the alarm started again. I cycled the switch a few time with the same result. Finally I tried holding in the switch when I turned the ups on and this time the alarm did not sound. As far as I can tell the power did not go out during my absence so I'm not sure what tripped the alarm on the ups. Then I focused my attention to the EX 470. It was off so I tried to power it on and nothing happened. I power cycled the connected eSATA 4 disk enclosure and it came to life and I tried the server again, still no power. Next I tried a different power strip and still nothing.

So what do you guys think? Is it fried? Is there a fuse in the power supply that might have blown?

If it can't be resurrected I'll be in the market for a use EX47x to drop all of my drives into.

Dave

That doesn't sound good. Are you comfortable with taking apart your 470? Maybe do a smell check for a burnt up power supply? Visual inspection, etc.

There is a company that is selling power supplies for the MediaSmart server if you need one.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/07/08/replacement-power-supplies-available-for-the-mediasmart-server/

The MediaSmartServer.net guys also have a power supply mod wiki article if you are comfortable modifying a replacement supply.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Power_Supply

brothercannon

I've already opened the box to do ram and cpu upgrades so I'm already familiar with the process.

I've been checking out replacement powersupplys and I ran across the one you mentioned. It seems a bit expensive and I wonder how the price would compare to a used EX470.

Well I'd best rip open the box and see if I can confirm that it was the powersupply.

jazzerjay

Did you plug the 470 into a non-UPS plug, like a different wall socket? Or have you plugged anything else into the UPS and tested the alarm?

jmwills

Not being familiar with that model, I cannot say if there is a reset button on the power supply or not. If it did burn up, you would be able to tell it by the smell. A replacement power might be all you need but then again, that is one of the functions of the UPS is to prevent against a surge also. Were there any other items plugged into the UPS and what is their status?

brothercannon

Everything else that was plugged into the UPS works just fine including the pc I use media center on, to record TV shows.

I plugged the EX470 into a completely different power strip on a different wall outlet and the server does nothing when I press the power button.

I'm hoping it is just the the powersupply but it does not smell burnt from outside the case.

I just need to get motivated and take the EX470 apart.

usacomp2k3

I assume you've tried leaving it completely unplugged for >15 minutes to see if that clears it?

jmwills

The beginning is a good place to start. Take digital photos of your steps so you can retrace what you did to remove the power supply.