RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Total reload of WHS v1 on Mediasmart EX495

Grant B

Good Morning All,

As the title suggests, I have a Mediasmart EX495. As it is getting quite long in the tooth, I purchased a desktop running Win10 that will be the new repository for my data. once I have migrated all the data to this new PC, I was planning on using the EX495 as a pure backup solution, backing up the data from the new "server" as well as all the clients.

To this end, I was planning on moving the newest drive in the machine to the 0 drive position to avoid any possible problems with the oldest drive - the original OS drive. At the same time, I was hoping to do a full reinstall to clean out all the digital cobwebs and start fresh. This leads to purpose of my post... Is it possible today to install the OS from scratch (from the original CD) and then apply all the updates to get the OS to the last updated state before HP and MS stopped providing updates? Does HP and MS still offer the updates for this OS/machine combo online or have they stopped allowing users to update to the last updates that were available?

If this is possible, is there any resources out there that can provide any kind of overview or step by step for the process - it has been a really long time that I have done anything to this machine :mellow:

If this is not possible, is there an option that I am not thinking about to achieve the same results?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Grant

There shouldn't be any issues with doing this. 

While WHSv1 is no longer supported and no longer recieving updates, you can still get the OS updates from Windows Update without an issue. There are just no new updates. 

That said, put in a blank disk into the server, and run the factory recovery "setup". That reimages the server,and wipes everything on it.

Thank you Sir - that is excellent news. I'm not sure how much longer the unit will operate but it may as well serve a useful purpose until then. The data I have on that server has grew past the external drive I used to back the server up to and I was only backing up portions of it. It will be comforting to have all the data backed up again. If I remember, the factory reset was simple enough.

As I have moved to a Win10 solution to host my data, I was wondering if you had any pearls of wisdom regarding using Win10 as a  server solution? What I am unclear on is the sharing of data and if there is a way to restrict access of individual "user" folders to each person instead of global access when the drive is shared.

On that note, I have a copy of WHS2011 but it too is a "dead" OS. Would there be any benefits to using that over Win10?

Thanks again.

The User Data folders are locked down just as they are in WHS 2011.  However you can create your own Folders and Share them out as needed and they will show up in the Console just like the built In Folders.

Just FYI, Windows Home Server 2011 is based on Server 2008R2, which is still getting security updates until 2020.  While it won't receive updates for the WHS code at all, the underlying OS will still be updated until that 2020 deadline.  

As for Windows 10, get the "Pro" version if you intend on using file sharing, at all. 

You can then use "fsmgmt.msc" to manage the shares. 

However, if you want to set it up like the WHS share... set the share permissions to "everyone".  Then set each user folder to "SYSTEM" and that user, and disable inheritance from parent folders. 

OK... I had no idea that WHS 2011 was still receiving security updates....

I have a PC with an i7 4790, 4gb ram and 7Tb of space. I want to utilize it as a server similar to the old Mediasmart (store files and have separate user specific folders) as well as to run the Plex server software on it. Currently, it has Win10 on it and I am moving all the data files to it.

Question... in your opinion, would I get better performance having WHS2011/Plax on it or Win10/Plex on it?

I believe there would be less overhead from the WHS2011 platform.

I disagree.  There have been a lot more optimization and performance improvements for Windows 10.

The question is which features do you want/need here. 

Either OS will be more than up to the task, given the hardware in question. Though, i would recommend 8-16GBs of RAM, if possible.  4GBs is rather low these days. 

Thanks for the replies.

I have everything but the users folders moved over to the new system running the Win10 platform. I think I will try and make that work for now. Always nice to have an extra useable system on my desk if I need it.

As for which features I want/need... not sure. The only thing I can think of right now - it would be nice to offer the users a "locked down" user folder like on WHS. One that only they have access to other than the administrator. The rest of the data on it has always been set up as full access for all users.

Running Plex takes care of Twonky or any streaming I need... once I have the Mediasmart redone, I plan on backing up the "new" server to it so I will have all the data on the new server backed up from it to the Mediasmart...

Other than that...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok... Another question...

A fiend has been having major issues with his EX485. He has put a new drive into it as the OS drive and ran the install for the server. He says that he is running HP Mediasmart 2.5 but has not been prompted to update to 3.3. From another post, it shares that WHS will update to the most current iteration before it "went dark" but what about the HP update side? Will the server actively look for and install the HP software to bring it up to the last version (3.3) or is there a place you can download it and install that?

Thanks,

Grant